PDA

View Full Version : unattached softies at auction

essop3
04/22/2005, 07:59 AM
We just bought a few mushroom rocks. A few of the shrooms came loose during shipping. I was gonna auction them but theres no time for them to attach. Would it be ok to rubber band them to a small rock? I bought a colt like that one time, but I'd like to be sure and stick to the rules.

firefish2020
04/22/2005, 10:54 AM
I wouldnt trust a rubber band on a loose shroom, it usually just splits them appart and off they go . Attaching shrooms with bridal vail netting is the best way, but it's still risky and theres a chance of loss.

essop3
04/22/2005, 11:28 AM
would it be ok to bring the to auction like that?

crabfan
04/23/2005, 03:49 AM
I'll be a first time attendee as well - and certainly wouldn't want to break any courtesies.

I'd posted earlier about bringing along some Green Star Polyps to trade, auction, or just simply give to someone starting out. I've got one section that is probably a square foot in area that goes along the top back wall of my tank glass. I've tried before - and it pulls away from the glass very easily, without any damage to the polyp "mat".

Unfortunately, I've not got any spare rubble rocks to super glue this stuff to. Are good sized sections of polyps considered "softies" and absolutely required to be attached to something to bring?

essop3
04/23/2005, 07:45 AM
I think I'm gonna just hold onto mine and bring them next time.

mcox33
04/23/2005, 08:44 AM
I'd bring the green stars for trade if nothing else. and I can probably come up with some rubble if they can be glued which I think they can. if so if you come early I'll help you glue some onto rubble to sell in the auction

firefish2020
04/23/2005, 11:29 AM
crabfan:
If you would like to donate a few pieces of it I will use it as a frag demo, and glue some pieces to rubble for you which you are welcome to auction or trade. The good thing about GSP is it has a tough matt and once it is glued to a rock (which takes seconds), there is very littel chance of losss. Unlike mushrooms, and colts which seem to try to break free and get sucked into powerheads or behind rocks, GSP tries to encrust a rock quickly to get a foot hold.

essop3:
Here is the net meathod that I use to attach slippery corals like xenia, and mushrooms. With shrooms place the net accross the mouth. http://members.aol.com/jomarspets/XeniaProp.html

Everyone is welcome to <b>trade</b> any unattached coral with other members, the only reason I have the attached rule is because after the first few auctions which had no rule we recieved tons of complaints from buyers days later about frags floating off.

mcox33
04/23/2005, 11:44 AM
Ron the link doesn't work

firefish2020
04/23/2005, 12:09 PM
strange.... works for me?

crabfan
04/23/2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks so much for your offers of assistance. I'll be glad to bring some for a frag demo!

The polyps do have a very tough underlying structure - mine is the purple mat kind - pretty even when retracted. In some places they have formed fairly long finger-like structures that are reaching out (unattached to anything) maybe 2 or 3 inches. When the lights are off it looks like areas of purple devils hand leather.

coralreefer
04/23/2005, 02:13 PM
mine is the purple mat kind - pretty even when retracted.

Ron or anybody else. I probably should start another thread but since this is CVRC its about time for a hijack :D

Is anybody familiar with a star polyp that doesn't have the typical purple mat?
I've got two varieties with a light pink/tan mat. Both have very fine tentacles that are slightly feathery and look nothing like a "regular" star polyp. Both came from an old aquaculture facility.

Crabfan are you from Raceland/Greenup?

crabfan
04/23/2005, 07:59 PM
Coralreefer,

Yes...I'm from Raceland. I remember talking with you a long time ago (jeez...must have been a couple of years ago) about possibly getting together and trading some mushrooms.

Speaking of mushrooms....if anyone has any for sale/trade (I'd really like to get some blue ones...but most any are cool with me) please bring them tommorrow!

firefish2020
04/23/2005, 10:32 PM
Most of the GSP we see with the purple mat has smooth bright neon green polyps Im pretty sure it's Pachyclavularia it's technically a different coral than the other GSP with a light purle to grey base which tend to grow a bit different. Pachyclavularia calcyes are tubular and long where Briareum tend to leave calcyes projecting out a bit. Also it seems to me that most Briareum have a bit of a feathery polyp and can be encrusting rock or gorgonians. Knoby sea rod is usually a form of Briareum.

essop3
04/23/2005, 11:56 PM
I have a blue shroom that is unattached. Looks a little bit purple under my lights. what would you like to trade?

coralreefer
04/24/2005, 10:49 AM
Im pretty sure it's Pachyclavularia it's technically a different coral than the other GSP with a light purle to grey base which tend to grow a bit different.

I did ID it as pachyclavularia once but couldn't find a good picture to confirm it so I'm sure your right. :thumbsup:

For some reason I can't get a pic to upload right now but the polyps are "striped" green or white depending on the center color.

Crabfan thought that might be who you were. We'll have to be sure and meet up this afternoon :wave:

mcox33
04/25/2005, 03:58 AM
crabfan thanks for the swap. I think I'm going to try starting them on the glass as this is one of my favorites and I got such a nice supply that I can probably get them started on both ends of the tank at the same time, I had the candy cane close to the center of the tank below the return line with 449 watts of pc's and 40 watt true attinic (florecent bulb)
Thanks so much

H.crispa
04/26/2005, 11:45 AM
Is an "unattached softie" an unmarried person with a really kind heart???????????