PDA

View Full Version : Rotifers and breeding tank

Me No Nemo
04/19/2005, 01:47 AM
Hi all...looking for one of those breeding tanks you clip on the top of the aquarium and also some live rotifers. My Maroon clowns laid eggs right in front of the tank and I'd like to try to catch and raise at least a couple. Anyone know of anywhere in the Orlando area that carries either? Thanks, Marcye

weefishman
04/19/2005, 02:24 AM
If you're looking to raise those fry you'll probably need to setup a separate dedicated breeding tank. Also, I believe maroon clown fry are large enough to take baby brine shrimp from hatch so the rotifiers wouldn't be necessary.

-Jonny

Me No Nemo
04/19/2005, 03:09 AM
I have a ten gallon set up as well which I will have them in. Thanks for the tip on the brine shrimp...I get some tomorrow and hatch them as the eggs should hatch Friday or Saturday.

scottywags
04/19/2005, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Aquatic Eco Systems sells everything you need.

Me No Nemo
04/19/2005, 10:42 AM
Great thanks!

MORAY
04/19/2005, 01:52 PM
Better than AE for this, go to www.florida-aqua-farms.com/

Almost everything that AE has on this line they get from here. Rotifiers will take a while to get going. I have a live culture running but you need to keep it going and you'll need a setup to do it. Brine shrimp are much easier and you can hatch them every day. If you decide to do a rotifier culture I can bring some to the meeting to get you started, but you still need a food source, plankton net, etc..

Me No Nemo
04/19/2005, 02:11 PM
Wow, thanks. Have you ever tried the brine shrimp hatcher that provides a constant feed to the tank? I'm going to try to catch some of the fry and keep them in a small breeding tank for a while so I can make sure to get them the food they need. Would that hatcher be a good choice? Thanks for your help and I am going to look into the rotifer culture and will let you know...is it hard to do?

MORAY
04/19/2005, 02:30 PM
Rotifiers are known for crashing although mine hasn't yet. They require attention daily in the form of feeding and such. Do a search and you can find a lot of info on it. I haven't used the hatcher you are talking about so I can't comment on it. Brine shrimp are really easy to do and if I were you I would start with that. JBNY has some info on rotifiers on his site and there's some info on the Breeder's Net pages. However, I'm amazed at how little volume I'm getting with my rotifiers so far. I've only had it running for a few months now and I've kept it small scale.

FAF basically wrote the book on all of that though and it's available from their site. The brine shrimp hatchers they have work pretty well.

Mr Neutron
04/19/2005, 03:43 PM
You could also try frozen or freeze dried rotifers. I just ordered some from www.brineshrimpdirect.com.

Me No Nemo
04/19/2005, 03:59 PM
Will DTs work as food for maroon clown fry? Or cyclopeez frozen?

MORAY
04/19/2005, 04:35 PM
DT's will not, but cyclopeez might be worth a try and I wondered about it. You'll have to let us know if that works. You're probably better off doing some searching to see what people are having success with. RC has a wealth of info from the last 5 years. Also, try Google so you can hit some other boards too. But, brine shrimp are really easy to hatch. You can go to AE and pick up what you need, but FAF can have it to you by the weekend. It will take 24-48 hours to get brine hatched.