PDA

View Full Version : Green Algea

canes17
04/18/2005, 07:33 AM
all of a sudden I have green stuff growing on the glass and on my rocks I have inverts to take care of it but it is not working what do I need to do

BoricuaMojao
04/18/2005, 07:46 AM
What are your water parameters?
How old is the tank?
How often do you do water changes?
What kind of water do you use?
How much of a bioload do you have?
What kind of filtration?

canes17
04/18/2005, 07:52 AM
My parameters are right on the money I use Ro water I do water changes every 2 weeks and have nothing in there right now but live rocks live sand and inverts. Also, I have sump with bioballs

BoricuaMojao
04/18/2005, 07:59 AM
When was the last time you tested your water?

What's your phosphate reading?
what's your nitrate reading?

When was the last time you changed your RO cardtriges?

Do you have a DSB? How old is the tank?

canes17
04/18/2005, 08:03 AM
what is DSB... I do not have RO I buy the water from a LFS the tank is about 2 months old. I tested 2 weeks ago

BoricuaMojao
04/18/2005, 08:11 AM
DSB= deep sand bed
Sometimes old DSB's turn sour, and start leaching back. (Not your case obviously)

With a tank that is 2 months old, the green algae is expected. It's part of what happens with a new tank.

But to be sure I would test the water before putting it in your tank. Just in case the store has been lax in their water filte change. And I would check again the water in your tank.

The bioballs are not the best for a "reef" tank, if that is what you are going for. They are better suited for a "fish" tank. The way they "filter" your water if by nitrifing waste, therefore raising them in your water.

canes17
04/18/2005, 09:01 AM
oh I got you what is the best for a reef tank

BoricuaMojao
04/18/2005, 09:10 AM
there's many ways, not just one best.
You need to customize as to what you want in your reef.

Do you have a skimmer? that would definitely be a good step forward from the wet-dry for a reef.

If you have enough liverock, you could slowly pull all your bioballs from the wet-dry and convert it to a sump. Do a search here on reefcentral, many people have done it.

canes17
04/18/2005, 06:32 PM
I did a water test today and my read out are as follows

ammonia 0
PH 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

BoricuaMojao
04/19/2005, 07:23 AM
Have you checked the nitrates on your "new" water?
just in case...

Although your readings look tipical of a new tank just on the tail-end of the nitrogen cycle.