PDA

View Full Version : pH

Docdunit
04/17/2005, 12:17 PM
Sorry folks, I guess I am just missing something. When it comes to pH. I feel stupid just asking.

How does pH get into your tank and what naturally rises it?

BECAUSE:

1st; I just put in a calcium reactor and that is very confussing to begin with. However I am trying to get the pH level in the reactor to about 6.6. Now correct me if I am wrong but the effluent will have a pH of 6.6 which is dripping into my tank - lowering my tank's pH. YES or NO? I don't want to have to add additives, I just want my tank's pH to stay about 8.2. So what naturlly rises pH or maintains it in your tank?

2nd; I have been reading a lot about calcium reactors etc..... While reviewing several forums people refer to their dkh as being as high as 60 (SIXTY). I am using the Salifert's tester and it only goes up to 16.O dkh. My test this morning of the effluent (it's been up and running for 18 hrs) was pH 7.1 Calcium 600 and the KH value in dkh over the max value of 16. and Alk in meg/L again over the chart value of 5.71. So I can't even tell what values they might be at. That big light bulb over my head just won't come on. What am I missing?

Pike
04/17/2005, 12:46 PM
ph is a measurement of the "acidity" of a liquid. Under 7 is acid, over 7 is basic.

Yes, a calcium reactor can lower your tank's PH.

In order to read "off the chart" amts with a titration test kit, keep or adding the titrant chemical. You can change the quantitiy of water to get different ranges, but that requires different technques from kit to kit.

The Reef Chemistry forum has some excellent articles on PH. I'd check there.

d4a2n0k
04/17/2005, 01:53 PM
It will probably take a few days for you to get it dialed in. When I first setup my reactor, the effluent drip would slow down and the CO2 would slow down. After a few days of adjusting them, they stopped needing adjustment.

I was also worried about the PH because my tank was on the low side to begin with (8.0). I have my reactor set to drip at 6.8. I thought I might have to drip Kalk to raise my PH. Instead of dropping my PH it actually raised it to 8.2 steady both day and night. So I am very happy with the results.

Just monitor your PH for the next few days. If you see it dropping you can either supplement with a Kalk drip or some people have had luck with running an air stone in the cup you drip your effluent into and that will raise the PH of the effluent before it hits your tank.

You want to get your Alkalinity in check and the calcium level should fall right into place.