PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a small maroon

floridajhawk
04/16/2005, 12:20 PM
hey looking to pair my lady friend with a young gentleman;), if anyone has a smally guy or knows of a store with tiny ones like ocean blue had the other week let me know. thanx guys

Me No Nemo
04/16/2005, 12:39 PM
Hey Florida...just a bit of advice here in case you haven't done this before. Many people feel this can't be done...that you need to buy them as pairs as an established fish will kill a younger one introduced to "its" tank. I found an article that said that it could, but that there is definitely a series of steps you need to go through if you don't want your current maroon to kill the new one. I went this route about 7 months ago and it worked. This is what the article suggested: Make sure the maroon you have is big enough to have definitely turned female...I think they suggested about 3 inches, and then find the smallest new one you can to assure that it hasn't started the transition to female. What I did was put the new one in a small plastic tank and sink it to the bottom of the tank for a few days near the established clown. She kept attacking the glass trying to get to little one. Once she stopped doing that, a few days to a week, I let the little clown go but watched him carefully. The female dodged at him quite a bit before accepting him. Patience is the key or she will definitely kill it. Mine took about a week and a half before it allowed the little one anywhere near her anemone. The little one hid behind a powerhead and the female would swim up and knock into it...finally, they did this cheek rubbing thing and then slowly moved over to the anemone, but we had to pull the little male twice and put him back in the small tank when she got a little rough. He was never hurt...it was more of an intimidation thing, but I would definitely be ready to pull him and separate them again if need be. HTH, good luck, Marcye

floridajhawk
04/16/2005, 12:43 PM
yaya my female is 4 inches and im looking for an inch male im gonna go the cup route i have a clown expert through that forum that i have got a lot of info from, thanx

red flame hawk
04/17/2005, 12:16 AM
good technique Me No Nemo. just curous, who showed you that article? :)

floridajhawk
04/17/2005, 12:22 PM
red flame or shall i call you IAN muahaha yo its on the faq in the anemone clownfish forum haha. not too hard to find

Me No Nemo
04/17/2005, 12:54 PM
I will say that Red Flame Hawk directed me to the article I referenced in the above thread, and it was right on. Not sure if it is the same one in the clownfish forum. My female is currently spawning for the 5th time, so I will extend my thanks to Red Flame Hawk for taking the time to direct me to the info and encouraging me to try it. In fact, he was the one who directed me to RC to begin with...I wasn't aware of the site until then.