PDA

View Full Version : Sony Mavica Owners

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 12:14 PM
Is there any way to get those crisp "macro" pics without buying the macro lens for the Sony Mavica? Any info/tips would be great. Thanks!

kevinpo
01/18/2002, 01:44 PM
I have a FD85 (I think) and it has a macro setting. Here's a couple of pics taken using it. I think the Nikon 995 takes much nicer pictures but I have hinted to my wife a few times that I wanted a new digital camera and received a negative response (I haven't given up yet though).
http://www.iea.com/~kpockell/yellow-scroll-1-02.JPG
http://www.iea.com/~kpockell/Nobilis-acro.JPG
http://www.iea.com/~kpockell/yellow-L11-01.JPG

Kevin

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks Kevin: I'm not sure what model I have but it does not have the macro option. I was hoping that there might be a trick to getting great shots like I've seen posted here without having to shell out any more money on lenses. Keep bugging your wife, she'll have to give in eventually. Thanks again!

jacksonpt
01/18/2002, 02:12 PM
If you do not have a macro setting on your camera, then you are limited by the focus range of that camera. I have a sony (though not a mavica), and it claims to focus down to 2". That's with macro enabled. Without macro, you may only be able to focus down to 6"-8".

Sorry

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 02:16 PM
Thanks Jackson. That's the problem I'm having...I can only get so close before my picture goes completely blurry. Guess I have to spend some extra bucks to buy a macro lens. Oh well, it's only money. Thanks all!

Barracuda
01/18/2002, 02:43 PM
Amcarring

I have a Sony Mavica: MVC-FD87

It does have a macro function with a 1 3/16" focal length.

Can't post pics - haven't figured out how get them to the right size!

I checked the Sony Website - but didn't find any "Macro" lens.

Where did you find one for sale?

Thanks

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 02:51 PM
Hi Barracuda: I didn't see the lenses for sale. I just did some reading on a "Mavica fan" website and saw a mention there. I have the MVC-FD75 model which does an "auto-macro mode" that I don't know how to activate (unless it is automatically turned on-if it is, then it doesn't do that great of a job taking macros). After more searching on the internet, I realized that a macro lens was not available for this camera. Did your camera come with software? If it did, you can most likely reduce the size of your picture. They are huge when you take them on the Mavica aren't they? Thanks for your help.

Barracuda
01/18/2002, 02:56 PM
Amcarring

Darn, thought maybe you had a source, since I have scoured the net looking for a lens while trying to figure out the macro functions.

On my Mavica, I have a focus button that I push to switch between the focus ranges. This leads to the Macro function. When the display screen shows a "tulip / flower" then the camera is set on macro.

Trying to figure out Adobe photoshop so I can reduce images!

hope this helps

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 02:59 PM
OK, I guess I can't make fun but there's a forum for Mavica camera owners (snicker) where I found out that my camera's auto macro mode should do the trick.....I disagree but who am I to argue with the Mavica gurus on the internet (chuckle). Sorry...can't help it. Sorry Barracuda, I know nothing about the Adobe software. Wish I could help. Thanks again to all!

Clyde
01/18/2002, 03:09 PM
or use this trick

go to a store, buy a large magnifying glass.

it WORKS.

hold it in front of coral, whatever you want to take a picture, and take a pict thru the glass :)

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks Clyde...I'll try that.

jacksonpt
01/18/2002, 03:18 PM
baracuda... I do a lot of work with adobe photoshop... let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help you out.

amcarrig
01/18/2002, 03:47 PM
Barracuda: I searched for a macro lens for your camera but the best I could up with is a string on the Mavica forum that talks about telephoto lenses. Hope you can use this:

http://www.mavican.nu/phpbb/viewtopic.php?topic=3220&forum=1

Barracuda
01/18/2002, 04:48 PM
Jacksonpt

Thanks for the help offer, sent you a private email

Amcarring

Thanks also, and will look into the link!

kevinpo
01/18/2002, 04:59 PM
I use Microsoft Photo Editor which comes bundled with Microsoft Office.

Kevin