PDA

View Full Version : Aragocrete project

cschweitzer
04/15/2005, 09:33 AM
My friend and I are going to start the process of making and curing some aragocrete using the GARF method. The reason I am posting this thread is to see if anyone has extra aragonite sand that we can use to make this project work. If anyone has a couple extra pounds of aragonite sand that we can use, when we make our rock and cure it in a holding tank, we would give you a few pounds of the live rock we are going to make(may take up to six weeks to cure and begin showing coralline algae growth). If nobody out there wants to, we will go out and buy some of the sand this weekend to start the process on our own. I'll keep you guys informed as to how it is coming along throughout the stages of our project if anyone shows any interest.

imgrtful2
04/15/2005, 07:22 PM
make shapes out of the rock.i think if i could have a lr in the shape of a cadilac,then i would probably buy some.

cschweitzer
04/16/2005, 01:21 AM
I'm not trying to sell aragocrete, but you might want to talk to GARF, they might actually be able to help you. Don't know about caddy shaped rocks though. If you give me a plastic mold, I'd be happy to make a caddy-rock. Caddy-rock...Good idea for a company, you should patent it.

cootiebugg
04/16/2005, 04:22 AM
if you can wait until a little later today for an answer I might have some in the garage you can have.

johnson1
04/16/2005, 10:11 AM
There is bulk aragonite available in S. FL; Matt at Tindall Aquaculture has the product. I don't know the price. If you are interested, I will post his number.

John Vandemark
ORCA Public Relations

This posting is from the FMAS forum:

02/24/2005 11:00 PM

PRC
Registered Member

You guys know Treeman's got like a dumptruck load of aragonite at his nursery that he's selling in 40+lb bags, right?

Hobby Experience: A few months
Current Tanks: 220gal, T5 lighting, 50gal Refugium
Interests: Aquariums (duh), Triathlon, Skiing, Kayaking

Open this post in a new window | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02/25/2005 02:06 AM

Treeman
Registered Member

yep

The future is a self sustaining hobby.

Hobby Experience: Fresh-20 yrs,Salt-4 yrs.
Current Tanks: 125 g. reef/18, 10, 25, 600, 1,700 gal GH prop. sys.
Interests: Ocean Fishing,Hunting,Scuba

cschweitzer
04/16/2005, 11:57 AM
thanks cootiebugg. You too Johnson1. If you have the sand in your garage, I'd love to take it and use it for this experiment. I'm not too big on the idea of either going down south to get it or about paying high price shipping for a 40lb bag when I need probibly less than 10lbs. Cootiebugg, if you find that sand, please pm me

Damn Yankee
04/16/2005, 06:27 PM
Made afew pieces using crushed coral, sand, crushed oyster shell and cement. I have a few laying around. looks alot like fiji. If you want the materials I didn't use,their yours

cschweitzer
04/17/2005, 06:17 PM
Thank you very much cootiebugg. I appreciate the sand very much. Keep in touch about the other stuff, too.