PDA

View Full Version : Home-made 2-part vs Calcium Reactor

ostrow
04/15/2005, 09:29 AM
Randy:

I did a search but can't find anything, oddly enough, on my question.

I will be upgrading soon from my 75 with 20 sump to 150 with 75 fuge and 100 (or larger) sump.

Currently I dose b-ionic with a dosing pump. But I have found a source a mile from me for dowflake, at $10 for 50lbs. That should make about 100 gallons of the calcium part. Epsom salts plus baking soda would also run $10-$20 in quantities yielding the equivalent amounts (meaning, when all 3 would be used up following your recipe).

Given the cost of a calcium reactor, equipment and media, I figure a setup would be around $500. I'd have to go through about 300-400 gallons of the homemade 2-part to spend that much.

My current system uses about a gallon a month. Let's say the new setup uses a gallon a week, which it won't. It would be 6 years before I spent what the reactor would cost in year one, and there would be additional costs to the reactor over that period.

You can anticipate the question: what advantage is there of running a reactor that, by all accounts, causes low-pH problems for many? Is there any reason not to simply dose the 2-part additive.

My problem has been unreliability of the tubing set for my pump but I'm still working on that. Assuming I can figure that out, which I am confident I can, I am having trouble figuring out why one would go the calcium reactor route. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!
Joel

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/15/2005, 12:31 PM
THe reasons to pick the reactor could include:

1. You don't need to be there for dosing, so when you are on vacation, it is fine. Of course, if you have a dosing pump already, that's not a concern, but dosing pumps are expensive.

2. There is no concern with elevated sulfate (although if you can get cheap MgCl2, that isn't an issue with the DIY either).

ostrow
04/15/2005, 12:39 PM
So since I have a dosing pump and can get epsom salts, not much reason? Interesting. Thanks.

And dosing pumps are available for under $100 ... that's about 1/4 of a reactor setup still.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/15/2005, 12:47 PM
and can get epsom salts, not much reason?

FWIW, magnesium chloride is a different product. Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate.

ostrow
04/15/2005, 12:48 PM
oops. The recipe calls for Epsom Salts. Do you have a link for how to mix/dose (where to get) Mg Chloride???

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/15/2005, 12:54 PM
The "where to get" is the hard part. Here's a thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554952