PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Identify Orange/White Short-Spined Urchin

Xleon
04/15/2005, 06:35 AM
Hi,

Went to pick some inverts up and done the silly thing of buying one I had not researched first. Upon a net search / Google / forum search, I can't find any details on him at all.

As you can see from the picture, he's quite a large ball, with short-orange spines. It has many small white suckers which it uses to maneouvre about.

It has, sadly, taken a liking to my Corraline algae and is motoring it's way through it at a frightening pace! I have seen it spit the rock dust out the top of it's body.

Anyone any idea on what species it is and what else I could get it to eat beside my corraline? Ta.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/35286Urchin2.jpg

dinoman
04/15/2005, 06:41 AM
:confused: Just a guess but a blue tuxedo urchin? The spines and body shape are pretty close to mine, though the color is a little bit different. About how big is it?

-Dino-

TANGBOY5000
04/15/2005, 07:53 AM
Does it also have some purple and blue on it? If it does then it's, umm name escapes me, but they are very poisonous. We got a few a couple of weeks ago at work and none of us had ever seen them before, but they came with a big warning and very thick bags. They are gorgeous, they look very similar to a tuxedo, but they are mostly orange with some blue, purple, and green marks deep down on the body. Be very cautious until you know what species it is for sure.

Xleon
04/15/2005, 08:52 AM
Cheers. I'll try my research again using the names you guys supplied.....

I always handle things in my tanks with gloves etc., but the guy I got him from picked him up in his bare hands, so let's hope he's not too poisonous!

He's about 1.5 -> 2 inches tall and about 3.5 ->4 inches in diameter.

The longer orange spines are dotted randomly all over him, while around (running from the top-centre to bottom-centre) are channels of the extendable white suckers.

Between these channels, is what appears to be hundreds of very small, purple coloured tentacle-looking things.

Xleon
04/15/2005, 08:57 AM
OK, it's definitely the shape of a Blue Tuxedo Urchin and loves the corraline algae, but is the wrong colour.

So, the right family, just need to find the exact species.

StrongHandsMcGee
04/15/2005, 09:13 AM
They sell those same urchins at one of the lfs here, I believe they call them "egg urchins."

TANGBOY5000
04/15/2005, 09:14 AM
That sounds like the one I'm referring to. Let me see if I can find the scientific name for you. By the way if this is the same species that I'm talking about, the guy you bought it from is either very lucky and/or has no clue what he's handling.

TANGBOY5000
04/15/2005, 09:26 AM
Does it look like this one:http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1313614.html

Xleon
04/15/2005, 10:07 AM
Kinds of, but with no real "spare space" like your last picture on him.
He's got orange spines dotted randomly all over him.
I'll upload a larger picture now Photobucket is back online again very shortly so we can take a much better look at him.

Cheers all ;-)

Xleon
04/15/2005, 10:29 AM
Not brilliant, but he's hiding !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/PorcPuff/Others/Urchin-S.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/PorcPuff/Others/Urchin-L.jpg

StrongHandsMcGee
04/15/2005, 10:37 AM
That is definitely what they sell around here as an "egg urchin." Sorry, I'm not sure about the species. Run a google search on egg urchins, maybe?

TANGBOY5000
04/15/2005, 10:39 AM
Okay, yeah that is different than what I was talking about. I'd go with StrongHandsMcGees suggestion.

Xleon
04/15/2005, 10:49 AM
Not much in depth knowledge of them on Google so far.
I'll scout around and post any good links I can find on these guys.

Thanks again.

TANGBOY5000
04/15/2005, 11:00 AM
I saw them on LiveAquaria. Typical requirements, they love string algae, might be poisonous depending on where they come from in the world. Supplement feeding with Nori if your tank gets to bare.

Xleon
04/15/2005, 11:12 AM
Google didn't find that one...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=594

.... "Sea Egg" brought up more info finally ;-)

Xleon
04/15/2005, 11:24 AM
This is him, 110 % positive......

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/echinoidi/ECHTripneustesgratillaen.htm

thepudge
04/15/2005, 12:35 PM
Yup, its a gratilla, I have the same one with identical coloring. Say goodbye to your coraline! lol

I've had mine nearly a year now.. Everyone loves him because he carries bizarre things around the tank on its head. It has never hurt any of my corals, including xenia (it turns around if it comes close to one). You will never be able to divert him away from your coraline, they are eating machines. If you put a piece of shrimp or fish on its back, though, it will devour it over the course of an hour or so and then promptly resume eating.

Great animal though, enjoy it!

Xleon
04/15/2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm deathly worried now (no pun intended!) about having a creatuture in my tank which, if it fell ill, has the capacity to poison the entire tank and kill every living thing in it.

I've only had him a week and he never stops eating. Do you have any corraline algae left? Admittedly, it gives a more natural look when some of it is marked the way he does, but will he devour the ENTIRE lot so my tank is pure white?

He has carried shells and all sorts on his back so far! Good news about the Xenia as I'm due to get a real nice piece of Pulsing Xenia very soon.

thepudge
04/15/2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, some websites say they eat xenia, so I was very concerned, but mine goes up to it and then turns away, so no worries.

I actually do have coraline left (and my tank is only 30 gallons), he has trouble eating it faster than it grows, and legend has it they spread coraline around by their constant pooping. He won't get it all and he won't get to places "protected" by corals. I've had him knock over a frag or two but nothing too bad at all. Mine spends a lot of time on the glass as well.

I haven't heard anything about them poisoning a tank when they die. I think as long as you don't let them rot too long the tank will be fine.

My domino damsel actually hosts in my urchin. Very funny.

Xleon
04/15/2005, 06:05 PM
My domino damsel actually hosts in my urchin. Very funny.

Wow. Cool. How big is your urchin?

VinnyTheIcepick
04/15/2005, 06:36 PM
I have one also. I have a lot of coraline so I am not too worried about him eating too much. He has collected a few live snails and they have had some long urchin rides but eventually get dropped. When he "takes care of his personal business" it looks like sand.