PDA

View Full Version : power compact or metal highlight

Reef05
04/14/2005, 08:06 PM
I had a few questions about the pros and cons of metal highlights and power compacts. I have a 55 gal reef tank and need some new lighting. What should I get? A 48" power compact 260 watt or metal highlights.

If I get a power compact what is a good wattage?

LanT
04/14/2005, 08:14 PM
Go with Metal Halides and don't look back. If you have to do flourecents than try T5's or VHO's, but PC's are the worse IMO. If you have heat issues than go with the T5's. You'll still be able to keep acros, and the mix of bulbs will give you a much crisper look than PC's.

gillies
04/14/2005, 08:18 PM
They are called metal halides. I run power compacts and have very good success with with LPS and SPS corals. My LPS (Torch and Frogspawn) have grown from the size of a baseball when purchased to about that of a soccer ball in 12 months and must be fragged soon. My SPS grows, but not as fast. My SPS also doesn't develop some of the fantastic colors seen in many tanks in Reef Central, the they are quite healthy with good polip extension.

If you plan on soft corals and LPS, you could use the Power Compact. If you dream of SPS in blues and greens with clams scattered on the bottom, get the Metal Halides.

I will be switching to Metal Halides myself when time and the budget allow. I'm doing this because the SPS bug hit, and I hope that all I read and hear about halides over my tank is true. The down side is that I have already purchased $400 worth of Power Compacts that I will no longer have use for.

Choose wisely to avoid my situation. Good luck!

deano488
04/14/2005, 09:19 PM
I have spend a lot of money trying to save money by not buying metal halides. I have been running PC's and always regret not buying MH's from the get-go. MH bulbs last much longer and you get far better results. However be forwarned, they do draw more power than PC's and VHO's. Well, there you have it... my 2 cents worth.
Dean

LunarCubes
04/14/2005, 09:21 PM
Chances are you will eventually end up with halides so you might as well save yourself the trouble (and $$) and go with halides from the start. If you havent caught the SPS bug yet, you might soon, or even if you want to keep clams your gonna need halides. I would go with 2 x 175 watt MH supplemented by your choice of PC, VHO, or T-5 actinics. I have only experience with PC supplements so I cant comment on VHO or T-5.

cschweitzer
04/14/2005, 10:19 PM
Listen to these people...that's all I have to say. It'll cost you a good $300-$500 to start, but it'll be worth it in a couple months when you're not restricted to certain corals because of lighting. I've lost all three SPS I've tried after about two or three months of PC.

floridajhawk
04/14/2005, 11:55 PM
sps you can do it well with PC just make sure you have correct current and food for the corals. Personally I am going to go with metal halides 250 watt 10k ushio bulbs, you get more growth and color from the halides vs the PC's

375Reef
04/15/2005, 06:56 AM
Get rid of the PC's and do VHO's. They provide awesome growth rates for both LPS and SPS and have a better spectrum. You can do an entire SPS tank with clams stickly on VHO's. If you want to do Halides down the road then go for it, but I would suggest trying the VHO's for now and save a little $$.

jjwarfly
04/15/2005, 08:12 PM
Only problem is when you put 2 halides on a 55 in Fl it is gona send you 55gallon tanks temp through the roOOOf . Which mean you will also have to invest in a chiller meaning another 500.00.

AJ69
04/15/2005, 08:24 PM
Well I had a 55 with 2/175 + one fan behind the canopy and never had any issues.I saw an spike in T went from 76 to 78 but that was it.Before the MH I had PC and I regret not starting with the MH.My .2 cents:cool:BTW the house is always on an avarage of 76>74.