PDA

View Full Version : Sump & plumbing

DrkShadow
01/17/2002, 10:25 AM
My sump is setup, just need a light for the refugium :D

I mods the plumbing a bit from this pic so the spray bar is morei n the middle, still gotta drill the holes it in and glue the plumbing tonight. So hopefully by Sat I'll be 100% :D :D Time for rock! Moowhahaha

Pics Here (http://www.comasonline.org:8080/reefpics/rjminick/plumbing/page_01.htm)

Lilgrasshopper
01/17/2002, 11:21 AM
The pictures didn't work for me. Make sure when u do your returns, that you don't have any 90 degrees PVC or else it'll make alot of noise. YOu might want to do it using hose instead. HOpe u have some unions in there so taking apart isn't a hassle.

DrkShadow
01/17/2002, 02:37 PM
Yea just had to use 1 90 and several 45's. Oh yea, used 2 slip unions so I can easily take it apart. If its too noisey I'll redo the 90 someway.

Rock will be here thursday :D :D

http://www.anchofish.com/liverock/walt_smith_tranship.htm

1 box for now and then another in a week or so. Finally almost ready to put some real stuff in this tank!

Little Reefer Boy
01/17/2002, 06:04 PM
Do you get any bubbles? I can't see all your baffles to know for sure, but it doesn't seem like there's much horizontal distance for the water to flow for bubbles to dissipate to the surface. Can you take a picture from the back?

DrkShadow
01/17/2002, 10:17 PM
Yea I still need to get a sponge block to put under a baffle but I think it will work well. Just finished glueing the pvc, I'll take more pics this weekend.

Mickster
01/17/2002, 10:30 PM
Where would one go to find a sponge block??? Do the LFS carry them?

Mickey

DrkShadow
01/18/2002, 05:31 PM
I hope so... I don't want to order any more crap online. I think Donny said petsmart might carry them. Will see this weekend, I want to get a cheap powerhead for replacement salt water making.

Don Davis
01/19/2002, 08:47 PM
Here is a link to the plans for the sump. (http://24.250.58.29:8080/reef/sump/36x16%20sump_frame.htm) There is a link at the bottom that will take you to different views of the sump. Shouldn't have any of the bubble or noise problems if we did it right.

I mainly wanted someone to build it and try it before I build the real one for my 200. THANKS RICHARD!!;) :D :D

If you can't find sponge anywhere else, I'd recommend a large car washing sponge. You should be able to trim it to fit whatever you need. Stuff it under a baffle and I guarantee you won't have bubble problems.

Later,

Don

Little Reefer Boy
01/19/2002, 09:19 PM
The sponge would have to be cleaned on a regular basis, though?

Don Davis
01/20/2002, 12:57 PM
I usually rinse my sponges out when I am emptying my skimmer cup. It only takes a few minutes and is worth it to have a quiet, bubble free sump. I also pull tons of pods off the sponges and put them back into the main tank to feed the fish.

It also helps with the evaporation problem associated with baffles. It you only have one baffle with a sponge under it, the evaporation effects the whole sump, not just the chamber with the return pump in it. The level in the entire sump goes down with evaporation, instead of just the return chamber. It allows you to go longer before topping off without burning your pump up.

Does that make sense? It is kinda hard to explain.

Later,

Don