PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you raise alkalinity level at one time??

PDQ
01/17/2002, 10:05 AM
Hello all,

How much solution (from baking soda and washing soda recipe that I got from this forum) can I add at one time? Currently I have to add the buffer solution everyday to keep my tank alkalinity level around 9. If I don't the level will drop down to 7 (I'm working on finding the cause for the drop). I like to bring the alk up > 10 because I was told that alk level > 10 is good for maintaining acropora coloring. Do I have to bring it up slowly otherwise it might hurt coral, fish, etc...??

Thanks,

Phong

PDQ
01/17/2002, 03:43 PM
Any one ?????:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Agu
01/17/2002, 05:34 PM
Fast changes can be more damaging than slightly out of sync parameters. My alk was low in one tank, and I used the same buffer, figured out the correct dosage, and then used half as much each day until it was back to specs. It took twice as long though to get it right.

The real issue is why does your alk drop that much each day?

Agu

PDQ
01/18/2002, 09:50 AM
Agu,

I wish I know the answer to the alk drop so that I can fix it. Right now I'm doing research for all possible reason for an alk drop. It used to be steady around 8 something until recently. Any info on possible cause for alk drop that you can give?? Anyway, I will be adding slowly until I found the cause for the drop.

Thanks

Phong

tyoberg
01/18/2002, 01:02 PM
Talk to your acros--I bet they know where your alk is. Corals take Ca++ and CO3 (alk) from the water to make CaCO3. That's where it's going.

I have a 37 gallon tank with a medium calcium demand--I lose a little less than 0.5 meq/l each day (and the appropriate 10ppm Ca++) to the various calcification processes going on in the tank. That's about 1.3 dKh. Each day.

If I want to raise calcium or alkalinity, I'll increase the amount I supplement by 30-50%. Typically, that means I'll continue to dose my 2 part supplement at the normal daily dose, PLUS some buffer or turbocalcium (for whichever level I want to bump up).

I would expect 1 tsp buffer to raise 50 gallons by 0.5 - 1.0 dKH. There is a little experimentation involved. Remember to give chems. a couple hours to mix through the tank before you get out your test kit

Ty

PDQ
01/18/2002, 02:03 PM
Tyoberg,

Thanks for your info. It starts to make sense to me. Now that I have more acros and the tank coraline algae coverage are mcuh more than before I think you are right that where Ca++ and CO3 being used up. Well I guess I can relax a little now and continue to add supplements to keep the levels in check, but still continue monitor closely to make sure there is no major wrong going on in the tank.

Thanks again,

Phong

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/18/2002, 02:12 PM
Phong:

Here's a long thread that discusses reasons (myths) for keeping alkalinity as high as you seem to want:

http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=47972