PDA

View Full Version : Tank help needed

pmcrazi
04/12/2005, 07:43 AM
OK, I am hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for my tank. Its been up and running over a year now. Originally started off as a FOWLR, hence the crushed coral. Then I got the reef bug, just couldn't resist the goodies, and since I found out the fish I wanted I really shouldn't have in my 36g bow it worked. I am looking to add more rock to "raise up" my reef, closer to the lights. If you look at my tank the reef is only 1/2 of tank. I was also "thinking" ( I must be nuts) of tanking out the CC and putting LS in. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, concerns or easier way to go about doing this, please LMK thanks
Karen
My tank as of now...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/81504tankshotsm.jpg

AJ69
04/12/2005, 08:05 AM
Karen,
How about bare bottom? Hey is the new trend(old fashion way).No hassle with syphoning the sand.You should do a search in reef central about it.
My .02 cents
AJ:D

floridajhawk
04/12/2005, 08:06 AM
ya i heard using starboard on the bottom is a good option, but what do I know I rock a 5 inch sandbed. :)

waterfaller1
04/12/2005, 08:59 AM
Karen,I can help you on changing out your substrate{I would}
While your stuff is out of the tank,buy a few nice pieces of rock to lift up what you have{more water will circulate through,that's a good thing} LMK how I can help.

Jovreefer
04/12/2005, 01:53 PM
Is the coral attached to the large rocks or still on frags? you can probably re-arange the rock alittle to raise it with what you have...maybe get 2 nice big boulder base rocks to help out also.

As for the CC, I would take out maybe like a cup every few days. You could even leave an inch or so on the bottom and just fill in with a bag of araga-sand (is that what its called???) or some other fine grained sand. I would not take it all out at once because its probably got some bacteria's on it you'll need.

If you need help with rockwork or anything lemme know. :)

pmcrazi
04/12/2005, 10:17 PM
Thankyou Thankyou, for all the advice- I have read some threads about making the change from cc to ls, as to "net" the cc in bundles and slowly take them out, but it's such a little tank I don't think I have room, I think I will go with taking a little out at a time, and adding some LS as I go. As to the liverock, about 1/2 my corals are attatched, but most are still frags or on smaller pieces of LR. Would just baserock work to raise it up, or do I need to get LR because it is already an established tank. Any "designers" out there wanta make a day of it, beer and pizza on me. LOL
Karen

Jovreefer
04/13/2005, 02:41 PM
Base rock will work fine. Base rock just means that there is not a ton of life on it, no coraline, sponges or critters. It does not mean that its not cured. Just stay away from fresh live rock.

If you like the way I do rockwork I can bring your frags and help with rocks one day. If not no hurt feelings :) Personally I like large holes for fish to swim thru...some dont.

Jovreefer
04/14/2005, 04:31 PM
Your box is full karen.