PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up a refugium in a bio ball sump?

guyguerra
04/11/2005, 10:10 PM
I would like to add a refugium to my sump. Currently I have a typical bio ball sump with two return pumps and a skimmer pump servicing a 120 gallon fish only tank. Refugiums are new to me, but I understand they can help reduce nitrates, along with other benefits for the tank. Is it possible to set a tank next to the sump and pump from the sump to the refugium and back into the sump? I know two simultaneous pumps wont work, so I don't know how to move the water from the sump to the fuge and back unless I was able to put the fuge over the sump, use one pumpt to pump to it, then and have it overflow back into the sump, which would be noisy and messy. Any advice on this setup would be appreciated.

SCR
04/11/2005, 11:17 PM
I installed my fuge 6" higher than the sump, drilled the side of the fuge,( Up high) hooker up some 1 1/2 elbows back into sump and extended the 1 1/2 pipe down into the water to reduce the noise. I also put in baffle in the fuge, took the bio balls out of the sump and put 2/3 of them in the front part of the fuge along with the skimmer. The rest of the balls went in the last chamber of the fuge. all the balls are submerged. It's not as good as live rock, but i just wanted to use the balls somewere in the system. I still haven't put anything in the center section of the fuge, I've been looking into either miracle mud or live sand with live rock. I've only been working on this set-up since January. The only problem so far is now the water coming through the sump without the bio balls does make some unwanted noise. It needs something to baffle the return water noises from the tank. Maybe some more bio balls? Later.