PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this???

lillibirdy
04/10/2005, 03:22 PM
I know most reef keepers are going to howl and say I need to switch to sand, however I really LIKE my CC substrate, it is not the crushed sharp stuff, this is more rounded and looks like large rice krispies.

I have a 55g FOWLR at the moment. Using an undergravel filter (with 2 power heads) and Millenium 2000 HOB, with that and regular water changes it is keeping things pretty darn clean. Nitrates 5.0ppm max. However, I dream of having some corals, and other purty reef stuff. I am hoping some of you are actually doing this with CC, and without sumps. I would like to JUST upgrade my lighting, (of course), and get a real good skimmer, add some more LR and then have some corals and other purty things in there too.... Can I do this??? I will obviously not be counting on my live rock and sand to be the main filter. But if I keep my water very very clean and lighting is right, can it be done???
Thx,
KathyW

jrallison
04/10/2005, 04:41 PM
All the things your hear that MUST be done are just ways to improve water quality. If you can keep your water quality up with your current setup, go for it!

Buy yourself a little frag and see how it does...

mike4271
04/10/2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by jrallison
All the things your hear that MUST be done are just ways to improve water quality. If you can keep your water quality up with your current setup, go for it!

Buy yourself a little frag and see how it does...

There are going to be the so called experts that tell you it cant be done. There was a thread on here the other day of a 20 ? year old tank, set up like yours, and it looked fantastic, go figure. I'll try and find the link:cool:

Nuhtty
04/10/2005, 04:46 PM
Go for it.

WaterKeeper
04/10/2005, 04:49 PM
Nope!!! :D,

The main purpose of your sand bed is to help remove nitrate. For a FO tank CC and a UGF will work if you are religious about water changes. I did it that way for years.

When if comes to keeping corals the nitrate levels you now have can, I emphasize can,cause problems. Pulling the UGF and installing a DSB may be the best solution but some people use de-nitrifying filters or load the tank lightly that nitrates remain low.

orlenz
04/10/2005, 04:49 PM
I ran a tank with an undergravel filter and CC substrate, for 5 years. it can be done but is a PITA do a lot of regular water changes run Carbon, and get a protien skimmer and it will be a little easier.

mike4271
04/10/2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Nope!!! :D,

The main purpose of your sand bed is to help remove nitrate. For a FO tank CC and a UGF will work if you are religious about water changes. I did it that way for years.

When if comes to keeping corals the nitrate levels you now have can, I emphasize can,cause problems. Pulling the UGF and installing a DSB may be the best solution but some people use de-nitrifying filters or load the tank lightly that nitrates remain low.

Be fair Tom, when you and I started, there wasnt anything else available:lol: :lol:

WaterKeeper
04/10/2005, 06:51 PM
:lol:

Yup, Live Rock around Saltwater were the Beachboys. :D

lillibirdy
04/11/2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks, anyone else care to share opinion on this? I spose I will have to try it, tho not for a while. I just been reading a ton about "lights" lately, lol, which got me to thinking about what I was gonna put under my lights.
KathyW

Paul B
05/10/2005, 04:11 PM
Kathy, my reef is set up almost exactly that way. I have no sump and I use a UG filter. Also my reef is the oldest one here at 34 years. The only thing I would change is in a reef you really should run the UG filter in reverse. Most powerheads let you reverse them. Push the water down the tubes and let it come up through the gravel. If you do this you also should put one of those sponge filters on the intakes of the powerheads and clean them every two weeks or so by rinsing them in fresh water.
For the people who will tell you that a reverse UG filter has a lot of maintenance, I just cleaned mine, the last time I cleaned it was 25 years ago. No diseases, no ich, no nitrates and almost no maintenance. You can check my gallery for pictures.
Good luck and have a great day
Paul

mike4271
05/10/2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by mike4271
There are going to be the so called experts that tell you it cant be done. There was a thread on here the other day of a 20 ? year old tank, set up like yours, and it looked fantastic, go figure. I'll try and find the link:cool:

Actually Paul, yours was the tank I was refering to, just could'nt find the link, my opinion FWIW, if it works for you, do it. Your system just reinforces that theory;)

Paul B
05/10/2005, 05:26 PM
Gotta love those UG filters.
Paul
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Copy_of_DSC00919.jpg

lillibirdy
05/10/2005, 08:07 PM
Wow, that IS impressive. Thanks for sharing. What are your lights? I see your DIY skimmer... Wow.
KathyW

Paul B
05/11/2005, 04:54 AM
Kathy, the lights are two 150 watt MH 10,000K and 2 40 watt power compact actinics. The Lighting is also home made (I am an electrician) The MH lights are about 10" over the water and the actinics are about 2" over the water. I do have a homemade skimmer but you can't see it in the picture. The tank is in a wall and the skimmer is behind it.
Paul

MrClean
05/11/2005, 09:09 AM
You can't keep a Morrish Idol and a UG filter will kill everything in your tank. Sheesh, I thought everybody knew that.:p

Your mileage may vary.

p.s. Paul, that's a beauty of a tank.

slik_dude@yahoo
05/11/2005, 10:18 AM
If you guys don't have a sump, what kind of Skimmer are you using?

Paul B
05/11/2005, 01:42 PM
I use a homemade 5' hang on venturi skimmer. I build everything for the tank including many of the rocks. If I can't build it, I don't need it. Besides, I am an inventer and building things is also part of my hobby.
Take care.
Paul

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Copy_of_Copy_of_skimmer.jpg

lillibirdy
05/11/2005, 02:09 PM
My tank is a 55g FOWLR, with only two itty bitty fish in it right now, so I have a bit of time while I am debating skimmers. Thinking of Aqua Remora pro, saving up. Not much to skim at this point. I also have a millenium 3000 wet dry HOB and two power heads on the UGF that aren't reversed flow yet, but looking at Paul's tank, thinking of doing that next.
KathyW