PDA

View Full Version : lighting setup info. needed

Matrexz
04/09/2005, 07:17 PM
hey everyone I'm going to be setting up my new 180 tank within the next couple of months. I don't have a lighting setup as of right now. I want to build one so I can save some money, the problem is I'm not that familiar with the different brands and such for the components. Also was wondering which would be better metal halide or vho. I'm very electrically minded I can build pretty advanced electrically gadgets(have to for job security sake :D ) What I was wanting to know also for some of the components is if I could go with some non-name brand items that aren't as pricey as name brand such as the ballasts. Any info. to further my knowledge on this subject and decsion would be great.
P.S. sorry for being so long winded

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/09/2005, 07:20 PM
don't know rest.....but Metal Halide is THE BEST! Looking into mh system for myself now.Good luck!

kakan
04/09/2005, 08:39 PM
Since you are good with electronics take a look at this cheap diy MH setup http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/rpi.html
Its in the articals seaction.

HTH
David

The Grim Reefer
04/09/2005, 08:43 PM
Depends on what you want to raise. Next to halides T5 fluorescents are the best.

Matrexz
04/10/2005, 09:52 AM
I would like to be able to raise pretty much any coral or such. Like clams even.

The Grim Reefer
04/10/2005, 12:47 PM
Stick with halides and buy brand name bulbs and reflectors like reef optix. you can build your own ballasts.

Matrexz
04/10/2005, 01:24 PM
why not make your own reflector?? And what bulb, how many, and what wattage would you recommend for a 180??

The Grim Reefer
04/10/2005, 01:36 PM
you need one lamp for every 2 feet of tank length. If the tank is more than about 28" tall you should consider 400 watt lamps. Reflectors can really boost the amount of light getting into the tank. They use no electricity and don't wear out. A quality designed reflector is the best investment you can make in lighting. Lamps wear out and ballasts don't last forever either. If you think you can match the geometry give it a shot.