PDA

View Full Version : Exterminator Proof Aquarium

amcarrig
01/16/2002, 09:16 AM
Aaah, the joys of homeownership.....of course, the carpenter ants seem to own the home more than I do (they should be paying the 1/2 of the mortgage as far as I'm concerned). Any suggestions on how to protect my tanks from the chemicals that will be used to get rid of the scourge? Any help (please) would be great!

amcarrig
01/16/2002, 04:27 PM
C'mon guys...isn't it bad enough that I've got a house full-o-bugs...please help. Thanks!

discented
01/16/2002, 04:36 PM
hey, well i'm not posotive, but ask the exterminator, i'm sure he has dealt with this before, ask how long it stays air born, if not that long, cover it with plastic of some sort, what size tank is it?

TheJ
01/16/2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I'd say seal the tank with plastic, and run hoses on any air intakes (skimmer, whatever) out a window.

Just guessing tho :p

Laura D
01/16/2002, 04:43 PM
Add a big big bag of carbon right before they start, too.

Spikehs
01/16/2002, 07:01 PM
i would throw a big plastky type canvas over it and seal it down with some tape so no chemicals can get in....then put the air hoses leading to somewhere safe.

pondscum
01/16/2002, 08:00 PM
every time they come to my house I cover my tank`s w/ damp towel`s. I make them stay atleast 30 feet away from them also

amcarrig
01/17/2002, 08:08 AM
Thanks to all for lending a hand. I have a 55 gallon and 90 gallon (both reefs) and was advised by the exterminator that all air intake had to be stopped which cancels out the use of any carbon, airstone...well, anything basically. Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a window or door in the rooms where the tanks are. I'll go to Home Depot and get some large plastic sheets and duct tape and seal everything off for about 4 hours. Thanks again. Your help is greatly appreciated.