PDA

View Full Version : Aquafuge Refugium

chineseknife
04/08/2005, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know how the Aquafuge Refugium works. How does the water get into the fuge and then back into the tank?
ck

The Grim Reefer
04/08/2005, 10:56 PM
Pumps in from the tank to the fuge and drains back in to the tank.

chineseknife
04/08/2005, 11:07 PM
drains into the tank? how is that if it hangs on the back? Is it raised considerably off the back?
hmmmm...still confused.
asking b/c thinking about getting one, since tucking macro directly under some heavy LR doesn't apparently work too well.
Are they worth it, I mean I know the macro is but as far as what you get vs. what you pay for?
ck

The Grim Reefer
04/08/2005, 11:30 PM
I run 2 18" units on my 125 lightly stocked with macro algae and DSB's with Kent Biosediment and have trace nitrates. They make a pretty good pod farm because the pods wont get chopped up in the return pump like on a standard fuge.

They set like 3" taller than the tank rim. Power head pumps water in and once it is higher than the tank rim it drains back in to the tank.

chineseknife
04/09/2005, 07:48 AM
Are you happy w/ it's performance? I really like the idea of it and it will get my mind off of a sump, for now:P With my 55g I was thinking of an 18"'er as I have my emporer and seaclone hanging already.
ck

The Grim Reefer
04/09/2005, 10:38 AM
Should do great on the 55. Dump a fist full of macro and a little live rock rubble in it and let there be pods.

You will probably need a small lamp over it to grow macro unless your PC's are raised above the tank enough for the light to bleed into the fuge.

chineseknife
04/09/2005, 12:11 PM
I still have my flourescents that originally came with the tank, could just use one of those I suppose. And the pods should come from where, hiding in the macro. I know this guy who said he could give me a gallon ziploc baggie full of some chaeto, would this do well? And the LR rubble should be cycled already, correct? And the sand should come from my main tank?
Thanks Grim
ck

The Grim Reefer
04/09/2005, 12:34 PM
You could get the sand from anywhere, just make sure it is settled before starting the water flow through the fuge. The chaeto will be great and the pods are usually in it or if you can grab a little live rock rubble from the LFS it should have some in it. You could even use live sand in the fuge, that should kick things off well.