PDA

View Full Version : Question for softies

cschweitzer
04/07/2005, 10:55 AM
Will mh w/ vho actinic be better for my shrooms, buttons, and other softies(leather, star, etc.) than a PC 220w? It won't burn them out, will it? I was deciding whether to go to mh/vho setup or just another 220W(maybe two more for a whopping total of 660W, too much?) for my 75G when it is setup. What does eveyone think on this subject? I know if I go to sps/lps I will need to get the mh, but for shrooms, is mh really better? Besides, I don't really like stonies nearly as much as softies(no offense, stony growers).

red flame hawk
04/07/2005, 01:18 PM
metal halides is always better in power compacts IMO. these are the reasons:
1)MH bulbs lasts longer
2)watt for watt MH puts out way more intensity and light
3)MH produces more growth in your corals
4)light shimmering in MH

for the 75 gal, i would do 2x175watt 10K w/ 2x110 VHO if you want the dawn dusk effect. you can also do 2x175 14K hamiltons w/ no actinic. softies look better with more blue IMO.

u might want to acclimate your corals to the new MH lighting. do MH for 2 hours the first day, then 3 the next day, 4,5,etc until you get to 8 hours.

my tank is softies dominated. my leathers and LPS grew so much faster with much more polyp extension when i switched from PC to MH. you should move the mushrooms to the bottom though, they prefer low to med light.

Aquaman
04/07/2005, 01:20 PM
MH is not required for softies to thrive, But they will do quite fine and thrive under MH lighting as well. Its really up to you and your future requirements. VHO or PC lighting will work.