PDA

View Full Version : 911! DAMN,this SUCKS!Help,many friggin' diseases???

anj
04/07/2005, 01:08 AM
oh my God! I love my swimming critters,and all else alive in there. I think my hippo has horrible ick,my naso has 2 dark redddish brown(like redwood bark)little squiggles on his lip,my kole is runnin around like crazy,my anthias(3 of em) have tattered fins,and just think...I q.t. these guys in a 55 gal. tank for 3 weeks(some only 2) and my prize fish just arrived 1 week ago and is in there in copper,probably picking up whatever this(these) are.I am at home all the time,,except last 3 days..been working on project..husband does water tests and changes(and other mechanical things,as he enjoys,and I get my boys fed,bathed etc..for the next day.Well,I came home and he had written in log,ph at 8.0 and nitrates at 10,calcium dropped to 400 phosphate at 0.03. when I noticed ick on hippo,i treated with ruby reef,kick ich,and had to turn of skimmer for trearment. What would you do? I have big unused 90 liter rubbermaid,no biological filter though,and the other q.t.is a 55 gal,all main tank fish are in 135 gal. Should they allgo into rubbermaid untill 2morrow? I have airhead,heater etc.Freshwater dips?? I have eurythemiacin,malachite blue,maroxy(it says 4 fresh)cuppremine,.I have a kole tang,naso and Orange shoulder...anthias,percula,hippo and 2 little chromies(who i saw a little "peeling" skin on aweek or 2 ago. HELP,I NEED a LIFELINE! SO do THEY. what to do in meantime....

Freed
04/07/2005, 01:14 AM
QT should be for a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks. This is why all the others in the main tank are getting what was on the fish that went thru your QT for that too short period. A lot of diseases, like Ich, don't show until the 3rd or 4th week. I would put them in QT ASAP and treat with antibiotics or whatever should be used. I really don't know what you should use because I have never had any fish in QT that had any diseases or that have left QT after at least the minimum 4-6 weeks with any diseases.

Can anyone else recommend meds for her to use?

anj
04/07/2005, 02:02 AM
freed,Would you recomend having another q.t? or can I use rubbermaid w/all of em in there? what about those fish seperators?would that be helpful if im not supposed to have them hanging out w/ea.other?(thats what i was informed of,I think)and what about my corals in big tank?wht do i do to catch them w/out further damage to environment to a 5 mo. old tank???anj

Freed
04/07/2005, 04:36 AM
You could use the seperators but that's a lot of fish in a 55 for 4-6 weeks proper QT IMO but I could be wrong. You can buy fish traps at the pet stores or you could try actually fishing them out with a tiny hook without a barb and small pieces of mysis or krill or similar. Another QT would be good but would have to cycle just like any other salt tank though. You will need some type of air driven sponge filter seeded with bacteria from your main tank for biological filtration but that takes time as well for the bacteria to build up on the sponge.