PDA

View Full Version : Simple ro question

Scuba_Steve
04/07/2005, 12:00 AM
Just bought my first ro unit, a kent bare bones. I bought it off a fellow RC member brand new but not in the package. Only problem is I dont know which line is which on it! There is a yellow input line, and a orange and blue output. I have it hooked up to my tap, I have pretty high water pressure, and the tap is on full. The problem is the blue line (which i assume is the clean water line???) is only producing a pretty slow drip. Definatly not 10gpd like it is suppost to make. Ive had it running for 4 hours and only have a half gallon of water. The orange line is producing at least 10gpd, prob more. Everywhere ive read about ro systems says that the waste line runs 4x faster than the clean line usually. Do I have the unit that is the exception to that rule? Which line is which? Please help, i have 80lbs of live rock already bought from another RC member that is tearing down his tank, and i have to have it out of there by tuesday! At this rate i will have maybe 10-20g of water by that time.
Thanx,
Steve

bertoni
04/07/2005, 12:03 AM
The orange line is the waste line, and the blue line is the clean water, so that's all right. Water pressure, temperature, and the state of the membrane can all effect the output of an RO filter. Is the first stage plugged up? My sediment filter gets plugged pretty quickly, and that has a big effect.

tampa-reefer
04/07/2005, 12:23 AM
The BB units are rated for 10GPD, but alot of things can limit your output. TDS might be high in your area, making your output lower. Mabe you can set it up in a 10gallon canister for a overnight drip. If your unit was assembled when you got it, open it up and check the flow regulator (looks like a piece of string) in the orange line. And the RO membranes are very hard to set inplace on them.
Also the RO mebrane might not be in the newest of shape....you really cant say how "new" they are. And dont let it dry out.

Scuba_Steve
04/07/2005, 12:34 AM
Well the membrane came inside a sealed plastic bag, thats how i was sure it really was a brand new unit. But the seller did mention that it was an older unit. Do the membranes go bad because of age when they are still sealed? Ill go check the flow regulator right now, thanx Oh i doubt the sediment filter is plugged, i just started using it a few hours ago, but i will check that too.

bertoni
04/07/2005, 12:36 AM
Okay, if the membrane was sealed, it's likely okay. You know you're supposed to discard the first hour's worth of output or so?

It might just take some time to purge the preservatives in the bag, but most RO-DI units do not live up to their rating in our homes.

woowoodengy
04/07/2005, 12:42 AM
i have a kent ro and get about 6 gal every 10 hours my suggestion is to go to your lfs for water the first time aroun since you need it quick

Scuba_Steve
04/07/2005, 12:50 AM
Ok i took it apart and took the membrane out, and i didnt see a string or anything like that in or around the hole that goes to the waste line. I even disconnected the line and looked inside. As for the sediment filter, thats the first chamber right? the smaller of the 2? I didnt see a way to open it up, but i disconnected the lines and looked in the holes. Oh and i did run it for about 2 hours before i started collecting water to get the preservatives out. I just might have to goto the store for water like you said, but any reason i cant buy normal bottled water instead of expensive lfs water? I have a 65 gallon system, that will cost about $40 for cheap grocery store bottled water, id hate to see how much lfs water would be.

tampa-reefer
04/07/2005, 12:53 AM
It wont have a sediment filter if its BB unit, it will be a carbon block and a RO unit.
It should be in your RO housing, unscrew the ends where your lines connect to the PVC body.

Try to make/get as much as you can soon. I like to let my mixed salt water "settle" overnight atleast.

woowoodengy
04/07/2005, 12:55 AM
lfs water is usualy alot cheeper than that if its not premixed salt water i would not buy premixed sw from the lfs you dont know what kind of salt they use
oh i see that you are in hamond thats not too far from chi town most lfs have ro water if you need a list of lfs in chi pm me

bertoni
04/07/2005, 12:55 AM
The bottled water in the store varies in quality. I've used it in the past, although I don't risk it anymore. Of course, your LFS water might not be all that good either, depending.

tampa-reefer
04/07/2005, 12:59 AM
I agree with Bertoni, I had a friend that had a small algae problem from using grocery store brand distilled water. Went away after he got a RO unit.
If you know the guys at you LFS ask a few question about there RO water.
is it RO/DI? Whats the TDS?

Scuba_Steve
04/07/2005, 01:55 AM
Ok I will check around, I prob wont be heading to chi town any time really soon, but iIwould love a list of good lfs. I assume there are better stores in the city than around here just because there are alot more stores. Yes Im very close, I have made it from my house to downtown in under 20 minutes, but I was going very fast. :P
Thanx

Palancar
04/07/2005, 09:23 AM
The Chicago area I'm sure is still pretty chilly this time of year. I think that is probably your problem. Mine too in NJ. The cold water brings it down. My 100gpd unit is currently only getting me around 40gpd. That's seems around the same as your ratio.

mmancuso13
04/07/2005, 10:50 PM
Remember, the membrane is temperature sensitive... When you use very cold water it permeates VERY SLOW!!! If you have a hose type fitting open both the hot and cold supply and you will about double the thruput of the RO

Let me know how it works for you...