PDA

View Full Version : Refugium size - how big?

Lildragon
04/06/2005, 10:57 PM
I was thinking of setting up a refugium for my 100gal tank. I was just wondering what the general school of thought was for the size of the refugium, other than a vague "the bigger the better."

My main reason is to grow some macro and have a safe haven for pods to propagate so my mandarin will have something to munch on.

I have an old 10gal tank kicking around. I have read that this is too small, but will it be sufficient to grow enough pods to feed my main tank?

Entropy
04/06/2005, 11:56 PM
Bigger the better. :D Seriously, a ten will do a decent job, a twenty better, etc... Anything will do something (even a 2.5 nano tank). It just depends on how much you want to accomplish. I would say you could raise enough pods in a 10g to feed a mandrin since the mandrin itself cannot get to them. It will take a while for them to reproduce though.

My refuge is actually bigger than the display tank. :)

moriartiholmes
04/07/2005, 08:54 AM
If you want pods line the fuge with filter floss. You can also use other strong enough containers for fuges, they don't have to be aquariums.

Lildragon
04/07/2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by moriartiholmes
If you want pods line the fuge with filter floss. You can also use other strong enough containers for fuges, they don't have to be aquariums.

Is the purpose of the filter floss to allow them a place to propagate? How much floss would you use?

I realize I could use just about anything for the fuge, but I happen to have a 10g tank complete with lid and light canopy. Seems perfect.

One other question: Would anyone recommend on having the fuge emptying into the tank itself, or my sump? My concern is what happens to the pods, etc. when going through my return pump? Does it matter if they are chewed up? I suppose the fish will still eat, but then the pods will not propagate in the main tank....Perhaps they wouldn't get a chance anyhow.

djian
04/07/2005, 10:52 AM
I would diplay the fuge and have it gravity feed the main display.

Ruu
04/07/2005, 11:09 AM
I have a 20 gallon refugium attached to my 54 corner. Since I have not been able to detect Nitrates or Phosphates since I plumbed it in and I have pods like you wouldn't believe, I would say that it is big enough for that size tank, and probably larger. I know that is slightly vague, but it might give you some idea.

Dave

Entropy
04/07/2005, 11:15 AM
IMO it doesn't matter where the refuge is. You can have it feed the tank directly, or feed the sump. The pump will not chew them up IMO. They are too small and will pass right through. I have pods all over my sump and my refuge so they will grow pretty much anywhere the fish cannot get to them. I have a good colony going in my overflow. :D

Lildragon
04/07/2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
IMO it doesn't matter where the refuge is. You can have it feed the tank directly, or feed the sump. The pump will not chew them up IMO. They are too small and will pass right through. I have pods all over my sump and my refuge so they will grow pretty much anywhere the fish cannot get to them. I have a good colony going in my overflow. :D

Thanks for the advice....I really don't have enough room above the tank and the space behind the tank (in my utility room) has all the pipes from my closed loop system...

Entropy
04/07/2005, 02:54 PM
If you have a utility room, find a used tank (55g's are dirt cheap) and hide it in there. :D Pods don't need light to grow, so just pump the water from your sump, and let it overflow back to the sump. Podtropolis!

Lildragon
04/07/2005, 03:07 PM
When I say "utility room" it really should be called a "closet." Absolutely no room for another tank. This is where I mix my water and there is a lot of my wife's storage containers and....Hmmm....where there is a will, there is a way...;)

When you have the fuge "overflow" back into the sump, does that mean I need the tank drilled and have a bulkhead installed?

Entropy
04/07/2005, 03:29 PM
That would be best, although you could use an external overflow. You could just as easily use a rubbermaid container or anything that will hold water. It doesn't have to be pretty. :D

spamin76
04/07/2005, 04:41 PM
The nice thing about a good fugue is that it adds water to the system and exports nutrients at the same time - rubbermaid it :) :lol:

a 40 gallon rubbermaid tub costs much less than a 40 gallon tank tank...... ;)

RocketSeason
04/07/2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by djian
I would diplay the fuge and have it gravity feed the main display.

agreed. My fuge will be above my tank. a nice looking fuge should always be displayed!

Nuhtty
04/07/2005, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if I could use a 2.5g AGA simply dropped into my sump as a fuge. I could cover it with eggcrate to keep the macro from escaping and the flow would be slow.

Thoughts?

swiftwing7
04/07/2005, 09:19 PM
I think its very important to consider flow rate through your fuge. You want it slow but not dead water. My fuge before I increased the flow was a place for everything to settle. Which was bad because everything settlyed there and the only way to get it out was by slowly dissolving. Now with more flow that stuff keeps moving and its forced out from my skimmer. Also gives more nutrients to the macro alage. I also built clumps of rocks for areas with slower flow for more pods even though they are pretty good swimmers.

Nuhtty
04/07/2005, 09:35 PM
Hmmm...I was wondering if that 2.5g in the sump idea would work if I dropped in a microjet powerhead for flow.

Lildragon
04/07/2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by spamin76
The nice thing about a good fugue is that it adds water to the system and exports nutrients at the same time - rubbermaid it :) :lol:

a 40 gallon rubbermaid tub costs much less than a 40 gallon tank tank...... ;)

Now your talkin' my language!

HippieSmell
04/08/2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Lildragon
When I say "utility room" it really should be called a "closet."

:lol: :lolspin: I just thought that was really funny.

spamin76
04/09/2005, 07:44 AM
My wife won't let me take one of her Utility Rooms....... ;)