PDA

View Full Version : generator question...

Navymedic
04/06/2005, 09:08 AM
what size generator would be good to power the following-

electric stove/oven
standard refigerator with freezer
the return pump on the tank (Mag18 for example)
small PCs for light
small TV (13")\ cable box for news ect.

I'm new to this and I'm starting to see some bargain sales on Gens, but don't know what would be the best bang for my buck ;)

PS- the stove/oven doesn't need to be used all the time, we will do most of the cooking on the BBQ ;)

Justin318
04/06/2005, 09:17 AM
15000K Home depot has one that you can wire right in to you fuse box of your house it will run your hole house when the power goes out also costco sells small power converts that you can hook up to a car battery i used one when my power went out it ran my pumps for 2 days no lights

BoricuaMojao
04/06/2005, 09:40 AM
mike,
look up in any search engine, there are several calculators online that will tell you.

To give you an idea. Mine is 3500W peak, 3000W base. It ran The refrigerator, an upright freezer, a 19" tv, a fan, and two lamps with 20w pc's. Every now and then, the tank's lights and pumps but with only the freezer and fridge running.

johnson1
04/06/2005, 10:01 AM
Honda and Yamaha both have calculators for generator sizing. It will be more efficient to use a gas grill for cooking rather than the electric oven/range. Starting load on electric motors is much greater than the running load, so size accordingly. Also look at the fuel consumption on the generator and where you will store your fuel. Most consumer generators are air cooled, require an oil change each few days of running.

John Vandemark
ORCA Public Relations

jjwarfly
04/06/2005, 10:38 AM
This should tell you everything you need to know,

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp

Navymedic
04/06/2005, 02:21 PM
thanks guys