PDA

View Full Version : so whats the secret

spshead
04/05/2005, 04:24 PM
i need to catch my yellow tang. i have been trying to catch him for a week and i dont want to break down my 125 just to get him. anyone have any tricks

iCam
04/05/2005, 04:25 PM
Try catching it after the lights have been off for quite some time. They seem to be quite a bit slower then :)

nanoguy
04/05/2005, 04:35 PM
Go purchase or make yourself a fish trap. I made the one in the pic below....cost me pennies. I caught every single fish in my tank with it. Just toss some food in the end of the trap and wait for the fish to swim in and release the door.

http://home.pacbell.net/deejay27/fishtrap.jpg

mylittleocean
04/05/2005, 05:04 PM
sent you an email....

J_Geisinger000
04/05/2005, 06:02 PM
nanoguy has a good idea

NwG
04/05/2005, 06:06 PM
Sometimes you have to go fishing in your tank... really!!! If nothing works, find the smalles hook you can and try to fish him out... have had to do this before... not recomended....

spshead
04/05/2005, 06:17 PM
i love the trap idea my tang is still nervous with my attempt. but he is eyeing that nori

spshead
04/05/2005, 06:44 PM
that is a good idea. i hope mine works i want this guy out of my tank

nanoguy
04/05/2005, 06:57 PM
You might end up catching some other fish before you catch the yellow tang. Make sure you keep the other fish you catch in a seperate container/holding tank until you catch the tang. Try not feeding your tank for a couple of days prior to using the trap.

spshead
04/05/2005, 07:08 PM
the fish can go in and out as they please but non of the other fish eat this stuff but the tang but i am still watching

spshead
04/05/2005, 08:06 PM
so the tang has still not gone in the container. I hate this tang he is so smart. he can see the net before it even goes in the water. i have spent many nights and hours standing in front of the tank with the net above the light. once the net comes from the backside of the light he can see it and runs. i just want him to go inside and eat the nori but he won't. i made the mistake of feeding the tank tonight but tomorrow i will not

Icedawg4563
04/05/2005, 08:10 PM
Good Luck

spshead
04/05/2005, 08:11 PM
considering this one i will need more then that but thank you

spshead
04/05/2005, 08:25 PM
so my tang is really smart and really stupid at the same time. he keeps trying to eat the nori through the plastic but hasn't figured out how to actually get to it. i hope he figures it out soon because i am getting tired:sleep:

daistarya
04/05/2005, 08:31 PM
LOL Sorry but that made me laugh. I have the same problem with this stupid Chromis. I hate him so much. I would stand there holding the net in the water and dropping flakes or mysis near it. I eventually gave up. Its been like a year since then and he is still alive. Every once in a while I try to catch him again. I hate that fish.

algonquin
04/05/2005, 08:32 PM
I caught mine 2 weeks ago with 2 nets, 1 as a decoy from the front and the other to get him from behind

JR719
04/05/2005, 08:41 PM
I had a problem with engineer gobies. I had to finally take out everything. Use 2 nets and finally got them. good luck and hope you don't have to take everything out.

viceversabrd
04/05/2005, 08:47 PM
Had to catch a large AGGRESSIVE velvet damsel. So I placed my larger net in the tank, he got comfortable with it in their after a while. I turned it around 180 degrees so it faced the glass and put a little piece of food in it. The damsel probably being the boldest and most inquisitive dove right in. At this point I clapped the net against the glass. Try this with your nori and the tang
good luck;)

sparkey65
04/05/2005, 09:48 PM
why do you want to get rid of the tang i love them

Subrafta
04/06/2005, 12:16 AM
I haven't tried this on saltwater fish, but for my freshwater I just leave the net in the tank for an hour or two and the fish forget about it. Then wait for a good moment and move the net slowly until you catch them. I've actually had fish swim into the net.

John

centipededesign
04/06/2005, 12:21 AM
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/activities/ice_fishing/spearing.htm

but be careful .

conspicman
04/06/2005, 12:32 AM
Get a small gold hook and take a nail file and file off the barb. After thats done then go fishing. If you catch a that you dont want out then take it off the hook (which is easy and safe sence you removed the barb) and put it in a five gallon bucket filled with tank h2o. After that just keep fishing away untill you catch your victim. Good luck. Its worked several times for me.

centipededesign
04/06/2005, 12:36 AM
yeah my brother actually did that and had it work. sounds nuts to me but probably better than my suggestion!

conspicman
04/06/2005, 01:02 AM
Centiped I have done it seveal times and it really works well,

light7
04/06/2005, 03:09 AM
I had a problem with a Royal gramma that had ich.It took me six months to catch him.The only reason he survived was
1) stuborness 2)the cleaner shrimps
He was just sitting there taunting me,of course I taunted back. stupid fish.I finally left a dark filter sponge that was hollow at the top of the rocks.one day I caught him peeking out of the top of it.I cupped my hand under the bottom and top real fast and nabbed him up and into the QT tank where I coppered him up real good.That was a year ago and he is doing fine back in the reef.That QT was up all that time waiting for it.Talk about this hobby needing patience.I dont think this will help you much but maybe my story will cheer you up.

The fishing thing works good as a last resort I was very close to doing that to the gramma but lucky for him I didnt have time for a concentrated effort for his extraction and in the mean time I could ad frags to the reef without QTing them.I QT everything now though,regardless.

Gawain1974
04/06/2005, 05:10 AM
Good luck, I feel for you. I had to remove two tangs from my tank recently (I know, I shouldn't have had them to begin with, but I got them in my pre-RC days and was told by LFS that they would be ok). Anyways, I had to take most of the LR out and most of the water. Still, was tricky, but I got them both. It took me an hour to take the LR out and transfer to my large mixing container and pump water into, and then put the LR back and pump the water back in. I didn't really want to do that, but I spent two hours chasing the tangs around with nets.

This is mean, but I had a damsel I wanted to get rid of, he was nasty and had been used to cycle my tank (once again, LFS advice). During my first ich outbreak, he was the only fish I couldn't capture, so I let him going untreated and nature removed him from my tank.

Good luck with the fish trap...I wish I'd tried that. Seriously, tearing out LR, corals, and pumping water can be a PITA, but with a little planning it can be done efficiently and quickly and might actually save you time in the long-run if the trap doesn't work.

Thank gawd for RC!

spshead
04/06/2005, 05:41 AM
this tang will not allow any other tangs to enter his domain. i want to catch him so i can throw him in my other 125 and let him clean up the tank. i like thie fish he is an excellent cleaner but i weant him to clean the other tank. Leaving the net in the tank does not work for him. i left it in the tank for a week. when he started coming out he would hide anytime i walked into the room.

Gawain1974
04/06/2005, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I tried leaving the net in the tank, even put food in it, but my tangs smelled the trap.

spshead
04/06/2005, 11:25 AM
o.k so yesterday i placed the arm media container in the tank with the labal facing out so the fish could not see me. i am standing in the litchen and he finally goes in to nibble the algae. i walk up to the tank and bam he is out and hiding. so i sut on my couch and just wait. 10 minutes later the tang goes back in this time the label is blocking his view. i walk up net in hand and swoop on top ofthe container the tang swam right into it. i kept the container covered with the net and transferred him:) oh yeah i also gave him the algae as his treat for being a good sport.

daistarya
04/06/2005, 02:16 PM
Wait I dont get it what did you use to trap him? Im glad you finally caught him though! Im inspired to have another go at that damn Chromis...

spshead
04/06/2005, 02:22 PM
yesterday afternoon i placed an arm media plastic container. could even use some other container i just had this one laying around. top was off the container and i placed some algae on a clip in the bottom. earlier today he finally got brave and went in he saw me coming so he took off. i placed the container so the label was facing me. when he went again he could not see me and swoop with the net right on the top off the container. he could not get out. so i lifted the whole container with net on top and removed it from the tank. you could probably use a large water bottle to do the same thing. just cut the top off

daistarya
04/06/2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm good idea! Im going to try tonight. I let you know what happens. Lol.

spshead
04/06/2005, 02:32 PM
good luck it took me about 14 hours before he finally went in.