PDA

View Full Version : dowflakes, calcium chloride

Psionicdragon
04/03/2005, 09:44 PM
anyone know where I can find dowflakes in SF, South SF, Daly City, etc?

BoomerD
04/04/2005, 01:59 AM
Probably nowhere, unless someone who got in on the group buy last year has some left. Not a very called for item here in no-snow country. MAYBE up around Tahoe...It's main use seems to be for snow & ice removal.

user48953
04/04/2005, 07:41 AM
I tried looking in Tahoe last year with no luck, plus the season is almost over.. did manage to score some from another MARS member that had a buddy that worked for a pool supply store that could order some.. try to see checking out some pool supply stores.

Mr. Ugly
04/04/2005, 02:26 PM
I looked around here for Dowflake, pool calcium, ice melt, etc. Didn't come up with anything. I ended up ordering Dowflake from Buckeye Field Supply.

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=46&Sub=1

I got 2 4lb bags for a total of about $14 after shipping to Alameda.

Psionicdragon
04/05/2005, 01:27 AM
Mr. Ugly,

Nice! I didn't find that site when I did a google search. How long did or does the bag of Dowflakes last ?

Mr. Ugly
04/05/2005, 11:59 AM
Psionicdragon,

I guess it depends on how big is your reef and how much calcium it needs. I'm still new at this, so I don't have a good estimate.

Going by memory, 8 lbs of Dowflake has a volume of maybe like a 5 lb bag of flour. I used about 2.5 cups of Dowflake to make a gallon of solution, and I use less than 100 ml when I check every week or so.

I figure I won't need to order any more flake for the next year or so :)