PDA

View Full Version : red algae

trozeboom
04/03/2005, 09:43 PM
hey everybody my tank has been going for 3 weeks now and im am getting a pretty good batch of red algae all over my tank. i know red algae is a good algae but its starting to turn to red hair algae. is this casue its a new tank or am i doing something wrong. my phosphate is at 1ppm.

Pistonkev
04/03/2005, 09:47 PM
Are you sure it's not brown?

Quimby
04/03/2005, 09:48 PM
Are you using RO water?

trozeboom
04/03/2005, 09:58 PM
i red between the differneces of red and brown and it seems more like red but always could be brown. i didnt when filling it but the rest of the water ill use for changing and filling will be ro

Quimby
04/03/2005, 10:11 PM
Your probably getting a bloom from the phosphates in the non RO water that you used to fill up. If you are not using it anymore it will slowly go away. If you want it to go away faster get some macro growing in your sump. I saw your other post about the skimmer get it quick and start skimming that will also help.

As far as the questions on types of algae. The red hair algae you have is not the same "red algae" people say is good algae to have in the tank. Don't worry you have the good stuff too; it just takes some time to develop. Q

trozeboom
04/03/2005, 10:13 PM
hey thanks quimby