PDA

View Full Version : Need powerful, short skimmer.

DrOfWaves
04/02/2005, 08:51 PM
A solicitation for ideas:

I am putting together a 210 AGA mixed reef and have a stand that only has 23.5 inches of vertical to work with. My sump has a 13x13 in footprint available. The ASM G-4 is .25 inches too tall.

I have been talking to Mr. Barr about a custom Beckett fed by a Sequence 3600.

I have have an email out to George of GEO for an 8 inch needle.

The H & S F150 will fit.

The short DELTEC will fit.

My options so far seem to barely meet the needs of a lightly stocked 210.

I thought with the Barr configured outside the sump I could later add an ER/ASM in sump to increase skimming capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

d4a2n0k
04/02/2005, 09:02 PM
Dont forget about My Reef Creations (http://www.myreefcreations.com)

They can make custom skimmers which I think is the way you have to go with that little height to work with.

DrOfWaves
04/02/2005, 09:21 PM
d4a2n0k,

I've looked at MRC for a short MR2 and from what I understand it is basically the same idea as the Barr custom.

orlenz
04/02/2005, 09:46 PM
Does deltec ahve one that small that will handle your tank?, if so you know there a sure thing.

DrOfWaves
04/02/2005, 09:49 PM
This is the largest capacity DELTEC that will fit:

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap600.php

DrOfWaves
04/02/2005, 10:03 PM
Here's the Barr:

http://barraquatic.com/standard_skimmers.php

BTW, Brent Barr is very patient and has spend a considerable amount of his time working with me on this problem.

Here's the H&S:

http://www.hsaquaristik.de/start_eng.php

The Aqua C EV 180 will fit but.... I don't think so.

Does any body make a 10 inch diameter needle wheel?

rufio173
04/02/2005, 10:55 PM
Why does it have to fit under your stand? I mean, if you've got room for a 210 tank... I imagine you allotted some room around it (ie. fishroom) for RO/DI unit, skimmer, sumps, chillers, fuges, reservoirs for holding RO/DI water, reservoirs for holding saltwater, etc.

Why the push for an under the tank skimmer? Is 210 the total system gallonage or just the main display?

Peace,
John H.

DrOfWaves
04/02/2005, 11:02 PM
No fish room, no basement, no crawl space even. Slab on grade.

I've considered a seperate "skimmer cabinet" as the wall where the tank is backing up to is 92 wide. I have a seperate area in the garage under construction for RO/DI storage and salt mixing.

Total system volume will be about 225-230.

rufio173
04/02/2005, 11:13 PM
I think that might actually be the best way to go... a cabinet right next to the tank where you can put lots of stuff (skimmer, calc. reactor, kalk reactor, test kits, food, refractometer, etc.)

You can never have too much space, especially with a tank of that size!

By the way, great choice on deciding to go to Barraquatic for your skimmer.

Honestly, skimming a tank of that size with a skimmer limited to under 24" is going to be a hard sell for anyone. That skimmer can be fatter, but honestly I feel like you'll still lose significant dwell time.

Peace,
John H.

jeffbrig
04/02/2005, 11:28 PM
Have you considered building a taller stand? I was never a fan of the short stands for big tanks. My solution for storage space was a custom stand that's 43" tall (see my gallery for pics). In it I store a 90 gal sump, 30 gallon RO/DI reservoir, 30 gallon SW mixing container, Euroreef CS 12-2, Sequence return pump, Ca reactor, you name it, it's a self-contained system.

DrOfWaves
04/03/2005, 12:44 AM
Have you considered building a taller stand?

Yes I have, but I'm trying to adapt to the short stand before I resort to a new one.

At the current point in time I'm leaning towards the Barr with an ER/ASM supplement.

Twin Danny DeVito Style.

Large Polyp Dave
04/04/2005, 09:28 AM
is your stand the standard stand made by AGA for your tank size?

DrOfWaves
04/04/2005, 11:24 AM
No, its not a factory stand. Not sure how much room there is in an AGA stand.

steve bowman
04/04/2005, 01:38 PM
Hey, good choice Brents skimmers. Get the 5000 and put it behind your tank and stand. That's what I did.