PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna help a fellow reefer build a CA reactor

floridajhawk
04/01/2005, 12:43 PM
Hey so I was just over at George's just chattin away and what not and was informed I needed to be dosing twice the amount that I am currently. I really need to build the reactor I was informed simply because I heard that the cost of it is absolutely nothing, where can I get a CO2 tank and how much do you think this will cost me all together ?
thanx
J

TigerWoods
04/01/2005, 01:07 PM
Josh your are the orca posting king! I have a hair spray bottle you can use, but I want it back when you're done!

:lol:

cschweitzer
04/01/2005, 01:12 PM
CO2 tanks are always on ebay. You can find them from stores that sell kegerators, that's how I have mine. Also, there are a bunch of places in Orlando that have refills really cheap. Definitely shouldn't cost you over $100. Probibly closer to half that amount. There's a place downtown called compressed gas solutions that does refills and probibly sells tanks. The refill on a 5lb CO2 tank is around $10. Don't know anything about building a CA reactor, but if you find someone to help you, I'd love to build one also.

Versus
04/01/2005, 02:46 PM
you can rent tanks from gas places they are like 25lb the smallest but its like 20 bucks and 4 bucks each time to refill.

Versus
04/01/2005, 02:52 PM
and if you must have a solenoid skycraft sells em for about 5-10 bucks you just need to wire the power cord ( 3 wire into 3 wire ) .

they also have regulators there for about 15-25 bucks

you dont need a regulator and solenoid by a aquarium company since you know they actually dont make the crap anyways.

personally i just got my setup and decided to just use the bubble counter instead of a solenoid . I also keep little children under the stairs. what?

bigdaddybo
04/01/2005, 03:39 PM
Josh. Are you going to build the reactor or buy one? If you build one let me know im looking to build one as well. Im told to buy a complete set up would cost about $700.00 to $800.00. But have not yet checked it out . Bo

floridajhawk
04/01/2005, 04:35 PM
hey bo def want to try to build one a lot cheaper and the way to go so ive been hearing

bigdaddybo
04/01/2005, 05:39 PM
when are you looking to build? do you have any ideas on what or how it should be? i know jay24k was lookin for one as well. Anaive built one.... i was think do one like his. looks like he had good luck with it.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144438

This is the thread on it.

LMK and we will get it done. BO

scottywags
04/01/2005, 05:56 PM
I'd be happy to help also, always lookin to learn somethin new!

floridajhawk
04/01/2005, 06:26 PM
hey guys well the miss has to work all day tomorrow if anyone would be interested in getting some plans together at least. PM me for directions to my place if your interested:)

jay24k
04/01/2005, 07:59 PM
Yea I'm still looking to build one. We could get the acrylic tubes cheaper if we buy it together. Maybe we can all spend a couple hours building one, make sure it's done right and then kick the rest out.

LunarCubes
04/01/2005, 09:53 PM
i just got my setup and decided to just use the bubble counter instead of a solenoid

I have to disagree with you there buddy. A bubble counter is used to count the bubbles your adding to the reactor to lower the pH. A solenoid has NOTHING to do with this and yes you should have a solenoid, heres why. When (notice I said when, not if) your power goes out (GFCI tripped, brown-out, black-out, friggin hurricanes!) you will loose pressure in the reactor cause the pump will be off. When you loose pressure the CO2 will flow very fast. If you dont believe me turn off the water supply to the reactor and the recirculating pump and watch the CO2 go crazy. So when the reactor gets filled with CO2 and the pH is super low and the pump turns back on, you mushy media is going to clog and the tanks ph is going to drop, and well.... its not a good thing :rollface: My advice would be get a solenoid :D

floridajhawk
04/01/2005, 09:58 PM
the miss' is workin tomorrow all day anyone wanna try to do this then or this weekend perhaps ?

jay24k
04/01/2005, 10:14 PM
Won't be able for awhile. Next weekend, trying to get things done around here as I'm going to California for 9 days for some windows conference. If someone here has made it, I'll be more then happy to buy beer and wings for someone to show and help us build one.

floridajhawk
04/01/2005, 10:16 PM
ok well that being said i will be trying to make it this weekend, and take you up one the beer and wings next weekend because im turning 21 yeaaaaaaaaaa, not that im not drunk now but still, have fun in Cali love it out there we have a house in La Jolla

bigdaddybo
04/02/2005, 07:40 AM
Pm sent