PDA

View Full Version : New reef looking for softies, zoos, and any other hardy corals

Jolio99
03/31/2005, 03:12 PM
I am at that stage right now where I am ready to start placing some serious livestock in my aquarium. I live in shaker heights and am willing to travel within the greater cleveland area for some nice looking corals. I am looking to start small, with some zoos and mabye some leather corals. I am having difficulty finding the type of leather coral that I want. I know it is a toadstool leather but I want the one with the long flowing "tenticles?". I am a little afraid of having them shipped from an online supplier and would also like to see what I am actually buying before I recieve it. Any info is greatly appreciated.

lawdog
03/31/2005, 03:42 PM
check out Mike from MDM in Parma or the SaltyCritter in Vermilion for what you are looking for. Saltycritter.com and mdmaquatic.com

lawdog
03/31/2005, 03:47 PM
Ohh and I see that you have a 29 gallon with "curing" LR. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to make sure the cycle is completed and the rock is fully cured which can take upwards of 1 - 2 months.

Unless the tank has been up for like 2-3 months I am not thinking you are at the stage to be putting in corals yet.

Do you have a cleanup crew in the tank? That is step number one. After a couple weeks then start with one or two small fish, clowns would be good in a 29. Then after a solid 2-3 months of time and all is well with water conditions and your lights or good for corals (MH or T-5's or VHO's) then you start adding corals.

I would hate to see someone buy a $50 coral only to have it die and become discouraged. This hobby requires patience.

If your signature just hasn't been upgraded and you have a 29 gallon that has been running strong for like 4 months that forget what I said above and contact MDM or SaltyCritter...

Jolio99
03/31/2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah thats way old. Thats from about 2 years ago when I started my tank for the first time. I was more looking for people to sell me the corals rather than a LFS. I have been to all of those places and dont really want to drive out to vermillion every time I need a fix.

Jolio99
03/31/2005, 04:03 PM
Also just want to say that I have had my tank cycled, running for about 2 months and have had fish in it for about 2 weeks.

rollinreefer
03/31/2005, 04:21 PM
sent pm

WmTasker
03/31/2005, 04:21 PM
check out my site. I have some corals to get rid of. I have to change most of the frags for sale on my site, but it will give you an ideal of what I have. www.120gallonreefs.com

Im in mansfield, little over an hours south of cleveland.

lawdog
03/31/2005, 05:49 PM
MDM is in Parma, you have been there too? MDM has some great stuff at good prices. I don't have much to frag right now as we just had the frag swap here in cleveland, maybe in a month or two I might have some frags for sale.

Maybe other people local will have stuff.

Jolio99
03/31/2005, 05:58 PM
No I have never been to MDM. I checked out their website but they seem to not have that much stock in right now or they just dont have it up.

lawdog
04/01/2005, 10:50 AM
He gets a new order in today I think. I thought he had a sacro leather (long polyps) on there. He usually has alot more in his systems then on the site at the same time. Just call him and ask when he is around to stop off. You won't be disappointed with what you find...

Reefer247
04/07/2005, 02:23 PM
MDM aquatics by far is the best and salty critter

lawdog
04/07/2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Reeferbabe
Check out North Coast Aquatics in South Amherst, they have a much better selection than Salty Critter plus lower prices that Salty Critter can not touch.

Personal opinion Reeferbabe... I respectfully disagree with you.

unoit
04/07/2005, 05:03 PM
Its hard for me to understand price comparision I dont remember NCA
stocking and MH ballast,bulbs,water pumps and so on. Give me a break
compare apples to apples. NCA doesnt even have a store sign or ample parking its operated much like a lemonade stand ran by a couple
of kids,but that's my opinion. The livestock looked much better, yeah right what are you smoking?

unoit
04/07/2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Reeferbabe
Check out North Coast Aquatics in South Amherst, they have a much better selection than Salty Critter plus lower prices that Salty Critter can not touch.

I'm sure Ponderosa has a larger selection and lower prices than Mortons, but I wouldn't call Ponderosa great based upon price and selection.

Kreeger1
04/07/2005, 07:17 PM
Terry who?