PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to cycle with your uncure LR?

Lilgrasshopper
01/13/2002, 11:02 AM
I'm worried that the coralline algae would all die off leaving me with only bleached rocks because I don't have a biological filter going. I used new saltwater (1 hour old--just mixed) tested for proper specific gravity only to cycle these rocks. Is that going to be a problem? I used pure RO/DI water mixed with Instan Ocean salt. I'm cycling 90# of MI rocks in my 75 gallon tank with a sump housing a Euroreef CS6-3 skimmer. I'm having good skimmate now. It smelled badly so I added a pouch of activated carbon into the sump. I don't have any sand at this time..when is a good time to add sand. I don't want the die off to cover the sand because it looks dirty.

CAT
01/13/2002, 01:34 PM
sorry, double post :)

CAT
01/13/2002, 01:44 PM
I've found coraline algae is pretty hard to kill off - I had my rocks out of water for over a week when I moved and the stuff never even changed color...

I could never figure out why people would let the rocks cycle without water changes, skimming and lights -what's the point of buying live rock then killing everything on it with ammonia during cycling :eek2:

Sounds like you're off to a good start by trying to keep the rock in decent water, you shouldn't lose the coraline but keeping the water decent will help you keep some of the sponges etc. on the rock alive.

I would add the sand after the rock has finished shedding most of that grungy, dead stuf. Also, I always shook the rock every day or so to make it easier to pull out the dirt when I wanted to syphon out the bottom.

good luck,

BOBG
01/13/2002, 01:50 PM
I cycled my tank with partially cured LR. I added about 10lbs a week. I never did see an ammonia spike.