PDA

View Full Version : Help with Red fish....

lawdog
03/29/2005, 12:36 PM
Ok... so the story goes that I spend all this money on my tank usually for things I want. Well, now the girlfriend has actually started to really get into the reefing and essentially she has become the interior decorator so to speak of my show tank... Whenever I get that new coral it has to be placed just right as I stand on a ladder with arms in the tank as she directs me to place the coral in that "little crevice right there"... huh? which "little crevice" I can't see with all this water movement at the time coming in 15 second intervals. Not that one, that one right there.... anyways, it is an ongoing struggle of waterglare and finger pointing trying to find the perfect spot. But at the end of the day to have someone your with be into the hobby is great, and I am not about to complain.

Which leads me to my thread topic... I need help with a red fish!

What I mean is I have searched high and low all the usual suspect stores and I cannot find a red fish that would suit the girlfriend. She loves red and as she is the interior decoractor of the show, she exclaims we need a red fish. Ok.. how about a flame angel...no too orange... she says oooohh thats a cool fish can we get that one, I say oh that nice flame hawk? Yeah cool fish but my $100 worth of shrimp would most likely become lunch. Not going to happen. A fairy Wrasse is just sometimes too pink.... I think you see where I am going with this.

Please any and all "reef safe" or "realtively reef safe fish" experts out there who can point me in the direction of a very nice "red fish" the redder the better would deserve a great big thank you. I have looked at some books but I just cannot find a "red fish."

Usual suspects considered: Flame angel, flame hawk, some fairy wrasses (can't find a really red one though, plus the one I have tends to hide quite a bit and she wants a fish that she can watch), Anthias (read wrasse comments, although I don't have any but hear they swim in the open alot).... Anyone have any clue about this elusive "red fish" please weigh in.

Sorry so Long, but I had to vent a bit.... Also this is the "last fish" going into the show tank so its gotta be a good one.

SUMMERS
03/29/2005, 01:32 PM
A male Pseudanthias squamipinnis is a great fish. I have one. He is red with blue eyes and a blue line around the back fin.

Reefsafe in my tank, and you can get a harem of females.

porky
03/29/2005, 02:11 PM
Hey Lar, is this the fish you're referring to?

http://www.tiscalinet.ch/jayboss/photos/Pseudanthias_squamipinnis.jpg

lawdog
03/29/2005, 02:28 PM
Looks like a great fish, beautiful, that would probably fit the requirements. Seems that you can get some orange/gold colored ones as well in that family so I would have to see one prior to buying it. I will put that one on the list for consideration.

Keep em coming, the more options I have the better.

SUMMERS
03/29/2005, 03:00 PM
Yes thats the fish. Mine gets darker or lighter depending on what I feed him.

The red is the male and the female are the orange ones. Whenever I upgrade I want to get 6 of the females for the one male I have now.

tslawinski
03/29/2005, 03:47 PM
Craig,

Would you consider a maroon clown. Maroon is a type of red. I have seen them more red than maroon, although when they age they tend to darken. Just a thought.

Tom

tslawinski
03/29/2005, 03:52 PM
BTW Here is a pic of mine. She is more red than the picture depicts.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/512/30359DCP_1034-web-med.jpg
Tom

lawdog
03/29/2005, 04:12 PM
Tom, yes I had considered a maroon clown, but I already have a pair of percs in the tank. They were my first two fish and I don't think I can get rid of them for a pair of maroons, although I would love a second pair of clowns I think the Maroons would take out Oscar and Bubbaette. Thanks for the thought though.

I appreciate your guys input so anymore "redfish" ideas, keep them coming.

tslawinski
03/29/2005, 04:23 PM
OK,
Here is another thought, a Golden Pygmi Angel (Centropyge aurantius). Looks more red than orange in the pic.

http://www.themarinecenter.com/aurantius.htm

Tom

djcool563
03/29/2005, 10:54 PM
that one of the coolest looking fish i have seen

shawnz28
03/30/2005, 12:26 AM
Golden Pygmys are beautiful fish but the downside to them is they are rather reclusive and tend to hide in or behind the rockwork alot so that might not fit the bill for her.

lawdog
03/30/2005, 09:51 AM
Hey Shawn...any ideas. Maybe Dan has an idea on a "red fish" I don't know if you guys have ever gotten in one of those lyretail anthias before. The golden Pygmy does look like a nice fish, but is it really that red? It looks red in the picture, I guess I would have to see one to decide. I guess I would prefer a fish that would be more open, but I am open to all options.

I wish the hawks were better "reef safe" fish, cause she loves the flame hawk and that would work perfect, but I don't want to chance losing all my shrimp.

Shawn, any input would be appreciated...

I don't expect you guys to do all the work for me, I am looking myself but not finding much.

Anyone know a good fish book that has all the known saltwater fish out there? Maybe that would help. I have only been looking online.

shawnz28
03/30/2005, 10:17 AM
The Anthias we have in quite regularly. If I think of a good fish I will let you know.

SUMMERS
03/30/2005, 10:17 AM
I have a book, Marine Fishes by Scott W. Micheal. It has over 500 fish listed all with photos, requirements, and habits. It is a few years old now and does not have all the fish commonly available today but it is a good starting point.

lawdog
03/30/2005, 10:20 AM
I will have to check out the book larry. Thanks for the info.

Shawn if you think of any or see anything on the lists that jumps out at you let me know. Thanks again guys.

scottfarcuz
03/30/2005, 11:43 AM
EDIT: sorry forgot what section I was in :)

Kustomreefer
03/30/2005, 05:42 PM
Hey Lawdog, Try Salty Critter. I had purchased a Male Carpenters Flasher Wrasse from Dan. I have Six line from him also in my 225 and he picked and pinned him in the corner constantly. Had to remove the Flasher, but he was a Beautiful fish. I'd say somewhere between pink and red. If Dan or the Critter Crew can't find something for you, Nobody will. Karl "Kustomreefer"

lawdog
03/31/2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Karl. Yes, the critter is where I usually do my searching. Just haven't found anything lately. Gosh though I love that Gold Wrasse they have in though absolutely "gorgeous" fish. Would work for me, just not for the gf.

Flasher and a hawaiin flame wrasse are under consideration as possibilities.

Shawn, do you know if say I find a fish in a book or online that I want that you guys could try and get it in?

Also let me know if anything "red" comes in on the critters next shipment. Thanks guys.

I am still looking and appreciate everyones help in finding the perfect red fish.

shawnz28
03/31/2005, 10:41 AM
Would not be a problem at all just let me or Dan know what you are looking for. And yeah I will keep my eye out on what come in