PDA

View Full Version : copperband butterfly

mrme
03/28/2005, 09:23 PM
I got a copperband butterfly today , to try and help get rid of my aiptasia problem .

(the lfs said i can bring it back when im done with it , *if i dont still want it*)

i wanted to know... if i end up keeping this guy , what are some tips on getting him to eat frozen ?

anyone here keep them ? any tips ?

thanks ,

Jason

Mattw2190
03/28/2005, 09:57 PM
Hello, I believe that once you see the true beauty of this fish you will definitely want to keep him. One thing you can try is going to you local grocery store and buying B-12 Vitamins. Take these vitamins and crush them into a fine powder then dissolve the powder into water. This solution will act as a natural attractant. I don't know if you've ever heard of using garlic, but it is commonly used by many aquarists to get their fish to eat. Garlic can be effective but the B-12 solution is ten times better. Also, it is best to use a food high in HUFA's. Selcon is a product that you can dip frozen foods in to increase their HUFA's, but I think feeding something that naturally has high HUFA's is the best way to go about it. In conclusion, I would go to your LFS and buy Cyclopeeze(very, very high in HUFA's) and get some B-12 to soak larger things in, like bloodworms, flake, or brine shrimp. In my experience there are virtually no fish that can resist Cyclopeeze. If you just bought the fish, you need to be patient as it may take it many days before it begins to feed.

Matt.

mrme
03/28/2005, 10:13 PM
thanks a bunch , and yes i know what garlic is ect .

i think i might have some b-12 vitamins around the house .

also , are these fish peaceful ?

i have mine in my 60 gallon seahorse reef , it hasnt bothered the seahorses , but my yellow angel was rubbing against him/her .

is the tank big enuff ?

Gary Majchrzak
03/28/2005, 10:21 PM
Tips on feeding CBB's from "the vault":

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49480&highlight=chelmon

Mattw2190
03/28/2005, 10:32 PM
Every fish is different, so the way yours behaves may be different. Generally they are passive and won't bother other tank inhabitants. I've had a Powder Blue for a long time now and all of the sudden it began to eat my corals. So it's behavior may change as time goes on.

bobherbertperry
03/28/2005, 10:45 PM
Mysis shrimp is a definate attractant for almost any fish. When i had my cbb, i fed him mysis and he would eat this. The biggest problem is that they are very passive eaters, he wouldn't get enough food because the other fish would eat it all before.

mrme
03/29/2005, 12:45 AM
thanks everyone , im not going to even start to worry yet , i just got him today . and hes been picking at the rocks (HOPEFULLY EATING THE AIPTASIAS !)

i will try some of the ideas .

Jason

guzz64
03/29/2005, 08:47 AM
Mine chose to dine on open brains, goniapora, and galaxia corals.
Pain to catch and get out.

Kustomreefer
03/29/2005, 10:11 PM
My Cbb eats Mysis shrimp like a hog. He is in a 225 with a Blond Naso,Mimic and Purple tang. At first they all put him in his place, now they all graze together. The Mimic will chase him every now and then for a second or two. He didn't eat the first 5 days(except the aptasia ). I also target feed every one to make sure they eat.