PDA

View Full Version : Berghia Nudibranch's? Anyone got?

Mekong
03/28/2005, 12:36 PM
I am sick of my aptasia problem. Smothering them in kalk isnt cutting it anymore as there are many in the back in acsessable. I have treid peppermint shrimp, yet they get eaten too quickly in my tank by either my betta, lion or when I still had my coral banded.

So has anyone tried Berghia Nudibranch's, I thought I rembered someone here tring to breed em? I was considering even if I had to useing my 20long as a aptasia breeding ground if needed

andyman
03/28/2005, 01:15 PM
The one I had died but I do have the name of the breeder written down somewhere. I'll post it here as soon as I get home. Maybe we can get a small group buy to save on shipping.

andy

triplecrown
03/28/2005, 01:17 PM
I had six in my 75g 4 months ago and have not seen them since and aptaisas are still present so IMO not worth it.

Vincerama2
03/28/2005, 01:49 PM
Aiptasia.... these things are so resiliant, it's not funny. I had a small rock infested with a some aiptasia, so I took the rock out and put it in a tupperware of tank water. After it went cold, the few pods and a worm that were on the rock died. It's been 2 weeks and the aiptasia has moved around the rock but is still there, extended and living off the rooms ambient light or something.

If you DO find berghia, maybe it would be good to put them in a seperate tank with your infested rocks, rather than give them to the main tank to be chewer up by powerheads and stuff. I think several times people have tried to breed them locally and failed. Problem is probably that once your aiptasia is gone, they'll starve...so you'd have to have an aiptasia tank too (which can't be that hard!!)

Oh, and sorry, I don't know where you can find any.

V

GreshamH
03/28/2005, 03:59 PM
Your coral banded wil make short work of the Berghia, sorry.

If your looking for em, contact Morgan Lidster @ Iland Aquatics, he breeds them on a commercial scale.

Mekong
03/29/2005, 03:48 PM
The coral banded died after I moved my tank about and hour north, he molted and that was the last I saw of him...

I fear that I am gonna have to get rid of almost all my fish so I can get peppermint shrimps, I know my betta and dwarf fuzzy lion will hunt them. I wouldnt be suppriesed if my takifugu ate them to...

Anyone wana buy/trade a bright red dwaf fuzzy lion, he eats everything and is about 4" and quite freindly, yet fortunatly still scared of my hand. I guess if I am selling him I also gotta get rid of my betta as well, 6" and will eat anything... I hate to see em go but my tank is getting out of hand...

I have considered putting the betta and possibly the lion in a temporay tank while the peppermints do their job, but I assume as soon as I put the fish back in and they eat the shrimp Ill be in the same situation...

If only I stayed FOWLR (yeah right)

DarkXerox
03/29/2005, 05:46 PM
The thing that worked the best for me was adding a copperband butterly. However, he only takes care of the small aiptasia, so you will need to kill the big ones with kalk injections. That seemed to get rid of the over 500 or so that we had this time last year.

Vincerama2
03/29/2005, 06:24 PM
Did you try that "Joes Juice" stuff yet?

V

Mekong
03/29/2005, 08:27 PM
I tried Joes, I was given some from my LFS while I still lived in Salinas, it worked just about as good as kalk in my experiance. I found that no matter how many I juiced that they just kept coming back.

I have considered a copper banded but I really think that my bioload would just be WAY too much. If I removed the lion and betta I might have bioload for a CBB but if I am gonna remove thoes fish then I can just get peppermints. And to top CBBs off they seem to be really picky about food and need to be feed often so they can graze. That makes feeding much harder. I like my current fish cause I can feed every other day. But I guess the corals now outway the fish...

Anyone looking to buy or trade for ethier fish? Both perfectly healthy!

Vincerama2
03/29/2005, 08:57 PM
If you have a sump ... could you place the infected rocks (one at a time) into the sump and put your shrimps in there? That way you can protect the shrimp and keep the fish, unless your rockwork is too elaborate to disassemble. Or fish in sump?

Or build a baffle/barrier so you can put the fish and shrimp on opposite sides while the shrimp (supposedly) eat the evil aiptasia on that side?

V

Mekong
03/29/2005, 09:17 PM
I pretty much need them (peppermints) to do my whole display (see sig and gallery) Alot of my rocks are epoxyed and have corals that are well established inbetween two rock and have grown over. I dont want to have to tear rocks apart.

Too remove the lion and then if needed the betta I was thinking of using a clear continer or possibly my lion has got so useto me I think I could lure him out with food and then net him. If all else fails I guess I could always use a barbless hook and krill...

I am thinking of keeping the lion actualy, he is the most colorfull dwarf fuzzy I have seen, I have a 20long with some urchins and two false pers in it, I guess I could move the clowns in the display. When the lion gets bigger I got a 29g and even a 50g sitting in my garge he could use. I dont think that a 20long how ever would be big enough for the betta as well.

Is there any good fish stores that would give me credit for the betta or does anyone want one?