PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasses (Cirrhilabrus)

dsandfort
03/28/2005, 12:18 PM
Well, I know I have Kip's attention. I'd like to start a local thread similar to the RC board. Fairy Wrasses. Cirrhilabrus genus only.

What do you keep? How do they behave? How much did it cost?
Would you get another? Stuff like that.

I'll start us out. Here is my Rose-scaled wrasse. Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis. Also known as a strawberry wrasse and a velvet wrasse. He's kind of new and gets bullied by the exquisite (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus). I put 2 new wrasses in at the same time to diffuse the aggression.

Overall, I like him. They are not widely available around here but I don't think they are "rare". They can be had for $70-90 in my experience. He's my second (first one jumped). That reminds me. Mine are all serious jumpers, even through egg grate.

Hope you enjoy and share your experience. Del

http://www.bernardino.colostate.edu/drs/rose scale wrasse.jpg

coralreef321
03/28/2005, 12:29 PM
I have a red headed solar fairy wrasse. I have had him for a little over a year. I love that fish and would not trade him for another. I dont have egg creat and he has never jumped. I paid like 30-40 for him. He has a great personality and likes to eat from my hand. He is my favorite fish in the tank and if he jumped I would be crushed and very sad. He has killed several ornamental shrimp and crabs but does very well with the other fish in the tank.

dsandfort
03/28/2005, 12:34 PM
Picture?? Sounds like a good one. Is it C. Solarensis?

COreefer
03/28/2005, 01:29 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6990

I too have a solarensis. Pics in my gallery.

Malama_Kai
03/28/2005, 09:05 PM
Well I have a tank full of fairy wrasses and holly and I enjoy them all. I heard that they weren’t compatible when I started collecting them but that hasn’t been the case at all. We have a mated pair of tomato clowns that keeps nipping their tails so I am offering them up to anyone interested in them. I started out with a six line Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, then got a flasher wrasse Paracheilinus carpenteri then our 75 gallon tank started to leak so we bought a bigger tank, 180 gallons. Since we liked wrasses so much guess what was bought? We started with Laboutei Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus laboutei, Red Tail Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus rubromarginatus, and a female Lineatus Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus lineatus . The last two additions came recently when we purchased a Australian Scott's Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus scottorum,and a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or flame back wrasse.

Like Del I had my first Laboutei jump out when I was cleaning the tank and did not discover it until it was too late. I felt really bad but learned a lesson that these fish do jump and usually when you don’t expect it. I can’t say I like one more than another I enjoy them all especially when they are strutting their stuff. These are really beautiful fish. There may be more in the future but not anytime soon. Well I don’t think so anyway. As for the price well they have ranged from $22.00 to $140.00 but can cost almost $300.00 for a Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
or Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse. I am surprised that you didn’t mention your Five Bar Wrasse Pseudocheilinus ocellatus, Del. Another beautiful fish.

dsandfort
03/28/2005, 09:34 PM
Trying to stay with cirrhilabrus for now. I belong to another forum, not reef or fish, and they use the following acronym:
TTIWWP. Know what I mean?

Mike, how many wrasses total? Cirrhilabrus and total.

D

Malama_Kai
03/28/2005, 10:10 PM
Yea I realized that after I wrote it but it was to late by then.

Seven total

By the way did you try that food and did you like it? How about the fish did they like it??

ktani
03/28/2005, 11:13 PM
ahhhh gotta love this thread. Thanks Del.

Personally I absolutely love the Cirrhilabrus, Macrophayrngodon (leopards) and the Paracheilinus (carpenters).

I can say from experience that they tend to be fairly friendly by and large. I have had problems with the lineatus though, he seems of all to be the most pugnacious. Leopards are probably the most docile and I have yet to have a fish bother them. They just simply ignore any posturing by the Bellus angels or anything else.

I have had at one time or another the following species:

C. lineatus
C. rhomboidalis
C. labouti
C. solorensis
C. jordani
C. tonozukai

Also want to mention the leopards too since I love them equally as the fairy wrasses. They are admittedly much harder to keep.

M. bipartitus
M. geoffroy
M. negrosensis
M. ornatus

I agree with Holly that they can do fine together in a tank. I have had as many as 5 different species in one 45 gallon QT tank in my office. They all swam around ignoring each other for the most part. They are also friendly, inquisitive and just stunning.

Some of the species such as the scottorum lose their supermale coloration in captivity. I have heard that you can keep it with the addition of a harem of females.

I did try and snap a few pics before the lights went off tonight, and so you have some marginally acceptable snapshots, but you get the idea.

Thanks again Del, these are such great fish.

Kip

Malama_Kai
03/28/2005, 11:23 PM
Kip it is Holly' s other half that wrote that, she may be cuter but they are my wrasses, he, he!!

ktani
03/28/2005, 11:25 PM
Here is a picture of one of my leopards with the labouti behind it.
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/ktani/wrasse-leopard.jpg

Here is a pic of a lineatus.
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/ktani/wrasse-lineatus.jpg

This is the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse. Again a simply stunning fish.
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/ktani/wrasse-jordani.jpg

Here is the tonozukai. I was excited to actually find one.
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/ktani/wrasse-tonozukai.jpg

A golden rhomboid fairy wrasse. These are stunning.
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/ktani/rhomboid.jpg

I have paid anywhere from $25 for the more common solon fairies clear up to hundreds for the rhomboids. Well worth it IMO as they are such fun fish to watch.

Kip

ktani
03/28/2005, 11:31 PM
hehe Mike,

I always did think you were cute. Not cute as Brian or Nate mind you, but still adorable. ;)

Kip

Malama_Kai
03/29/2005, 12:02 AM
Nice Kip, I was looking for a hawaiian Flame but they are hard to find. If I do purchase another I hope that the Flame will be it.

ktani
03/29/2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks,

I find the hawaiian one of the most striking of the Cirrhilabrus. A good thing is they do not so readily lose their color as does some of the others.

There are three that I still want. C. punctatus, P. mccoskeri and M. bipartitus.

So far no luck in any of the categories. But I am sure in time.

Kip

dsandfort
03/29/2005, 12:10 AM
I knew I'd get you with this one Kip. Nice photos. My lineatus gets the crap kicked out of him by the exquisite and, I hate to admit it, even by the anthias. What a wussy. He's an embarassment to me.

dsandfort
03/29/2005, 11:59 PM
Apparently, just the 5 of us keep wrasses. Oh well.
D

Coloaggie
03/30/2005, 12:48 AM
From my experience, people mistake the behavior of fairy wrasses with the other wrasses. I try to bring in different fairy wrasses, but they just sit most of the time. People often have asked me questions like, "they are not reef safe, are they?", or "they eat shrimp, don't they?". It's kind of disheartening since I really love fairy wrasses, but can't really get them to sell.

Y

burkleman
03/30/2005, 11:33 AM
I will by one from you Yale, that is if it would be ok with a 2-2.5 inche sixline wrasse in a 75g reef tank.

Brandon

herefishyfishy2
03/30/2005, 03:37 PM
Hey Yale,

If you could order a small, less than ~ 2-3" Ornate/X-mas Wrasse in I would purchase it. Let me know

JEMichael IV
03/30/2005, 11:33 PM
Brandon,

The six-lines dont like any wrasses. At least the one I have doesnt. They are mean little sons of witches.. I cannot wait till I can catch him and throw him into the 300g in the basement so I can get a couple of the wrasses pictured and spoken about in this thread. But he is smart, never goes near the trap. The only thing I catch in that trap is my salfin..

Malama_Kai
03/30/2005, 11:49 PM
One of the first fish I ever had was a lunar wrasse so I can understand why people may have the wrong impression. That fish was nuts, I thought it was on speed or something the way it flew around the tank. Luckily, I had no problem finding it a home which I was happy about. On the other hand the 6 line was peaceful, what a contrast and that leaad me to purchasing the P. carpenteri and I was sold on fairy wrassees.

ktani
03/31/2005, 12:04 AM
Lynn - The ornate and the Christmas, although they do look a bit similar are completely different species. The ornate, Macropharyngodon ornatus is a great fish (I have two, errr one since Eric is snagging one) and does a great job. The Christmas wrasse is a Halichoeres ornatissimus and grows larger and could potentially prey upon shrimp, hermits and snails. "could" is the key word there. I talked with someone who has had one and as long as it was well fed, there were no issues.

Make sure you are getting the correct one.

Brandon - I agree with John, 6 lines are mean and give wrasses a bad name.

Personally, there is a difference between the wrasses. The larger and potentially more dangerous ones for a reef (ie eating ornamental shrimp, etc) are completely different than the carpenter's, fairies and leopards.

What a fun thread about such a great fish.

Kip

Coloaggie
03/31/2005, 12:10 AM
I have a fourline with a Hawaiian Flame and they get along well. Of the two, I really think the fourline has a much better personality than the sixline.

dsandfort
03/31/2005, 12:27 AM
Yale-get good ones, we'll buy them

I have a "Christmas" wrasse that I think is mis-identified. So far, it is fairly well-behaved. It's much darker than the small Christmas wrasse, but maybe it's an adult thing. I have seen him nip at snails but not to a significant degree.

My main wrasse problem is with the exquisite. What a bast**d. He is not long for the big tank. Luckily, I can catch him in a drinking glass.

Oh yeah...I thought this thread was about Cirrhilabrus, or did the thread starter not know what he was talking about?

D

herefishyfishy2
03/31/2005, 09:15 AM
Kip-

Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware they were different

I have a male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse and love him. Extremely colorful and gentle. I'll post a pict of him when I get a chance.

Yale, How about an ornate wrasse for a special order?

murfman
03/31/2005, 11:36 AM
kip, just how hard are the leopards to keep? from what i have read, they are not recommended. they are beautiful and if not too difficult, i'd give them a shot.

ktani
04/01/2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Murf,

my experience is probably a bit unusual in that I do believe they are fairly difficult to keep. I have had mine from 8 months to 2 years without any issues.

I believe the secret is to get them eating. I have the bags of PE Mysis that have the smaller size shrimp which works great for the leopards smaller mouth. Also, my tank is fille with both amphipods and copepods so that helps.

I sent a message to Bronco7777 who is in my thinking one of the best when it comes to wrasses and hopefully he can chime in too.

Cirrhilabrus or the fairies have all been quite good for me. Little bickering and a curious fish too. I love the orange eyes they have. Not quite sure how many more I can put in mine, but am hoping for a C. punctatus. Still looking, although I did find one on Liveaquaria, but they did not ship it so I finally gave up on them. Marine Center has them, but they are wayyyyyyyy expensive and not very friendly IMO. So I keep watching.

If anyone sees a stunning one, please tell me.

Kip

bronco7777
04/02/2005, 08:25 PM
Well first of all I want to thank Kip for inviting me to this thread. I know you may see Georgia in my bio but let me assure you that I am form Colorado. Denver to be specific, I actually have family in Lakewood.
Thus my tag name...bronco7777. Man could we ever use a young Elway again!

Anyway, I am a fairy wrasse fanatic. I have been for several years and my sole goal has not only been to collect as many as I can, but to promote this species as much as possible. IMO the ideal reef fish.

If you've had a chance to stop over on the reef fish forums you'll see a large thread I started a while back that is devoted only to fairy wrasses. Unfortunately it's becomed hijacked with a lot of side bar conversations but I'd say the first two pages has the best pictures and content.

Anyway, currently this is my list of fairy wrasses. This list is scattered over three different tanks.

Rhomboid Fairy
Lineatus Fairy
Labout's Fairy
Finespotted Fairy (Juvenile)
Exquiste Fairy (Large Male)
Pink Margin Fairy (Supermale)
Scott's Fairy
Yellowfin Fairy (Large male)
Solar fairy (juvenile)
Flame fairy (juvenile)
Orangeback Fairy
Lubbock's Fairy

Other fish/ wrasses

Mystery wrasse
Candy / Sunset hog
Black Hat Pencil Wrasse
Candy Pencil Wrasse
Multicolor Angel

I just picked up a new fairy which I can't make out too well yet because he got beat up pretty good in the shipping process. I pretty sure it's a adult Katherine's Fairy. I hoping to get pictures soon but I have him in a Hospital tank with medication in a dark room and so he's colors are pretty jaded.

If you'd like, I'll post some pics of the other fish I have.

Thanks again Kip for the heads up on this thread. It's good to hear from other folks from Colorado.

Orlando

dsandfort
04/02/2005, 09:27 PM
Hi Orlando-
I kind of stole your thread from RC and tried to localize it. Hope you don't mind.
Question for you. Have you ever seen the female/sub-dominant male of any Cirrhilabrus go "super-male" when they are the only species? The popular literature indicates this happens. Or, does it require a harem to flip the switch?

Oh yeah. I'd settle for Tom Brady.

Del

ktani
04/02/2005, 10:52 PM
heck Orlando, I am just psyched to get your input as well. Del is another fairy wrasse fan and it was great of him to do this.

One question, I did ask you a bit ago that I think is worth revisiting is one of coloration. For example, the C. scottorum loses its color if not in the presence of females, but the C. jordani does not. Would you be able to elaborate and give us some guidance on which ones can be kept by themselves and still maintain coloration?

Also, have you noticed any of the fairy wrasses that exhibit aggressive tendencies? The closest I have seen is the C. lineatus.

Sorry Del, did not mean to hijack the thread with a ringer, but thought his opinions would be valuable for us.

Kip

PS how is "my" C. punctatus doing? :-)

bronco7777
04/02/2005, 11:36 PM
okay, hopefully I can answer both your questions.

First dsandfort:

I'm glad you started this thread, the first I made is kinda out of control. If it helps wrasses get attention I'm all over it.

"Have you ever seen the female/sub-dominant male of any Cirrhilabrus go "super-male" when they are the only species? The popular literature indicates this happens. Or, does it require a harem to flip the switch?

Well I have never seen this happen in any of my tanks....or in tanks of other hobbyists that I know of, that i have had the chance to see firsthand. I know Scott Michael has mentioned that this has occurred and I would imagine it occured in a controled lab...or something like that. I've never seen a female, by itself, just turn into a male without others of its own type around. Usually in a captive system a female will stay female, and a young male will stay dormant, or basically not enhance in coloration. Now if you were to add several young males into a tank with a very large and mature female........that would be an interesting scenario. Then there might be a shot at seeing some changes. I guess the short version of this is these are community fish and will need more of their own kind to display any true colorations and/or sexual behaviors.

Kip,

"One question, I did ask you a bit ago that I think is worth revisiting is one of coloration. For example, the C. scottorum loses its color if not in the presence of females, but the C. jordani does not. Would you be able to elaborate and give us some guidance on which ones can be kept by themselves and still maintain coloration?"

Best selections that will maintain their colors:
Flame fairy
Yellowfin fairy Male
Labout's
Lineatus
Social fairy
Conde's fairy
Orangeback fairy
Lubbock's fairy
Tono's fairy
Basically anything that is primarilly red, orange, pink and or white stands a very good chance at keeping their colors.

Fairy wrasses that tend to lose their colors without harems:
Scott's fairy
Temminck's Fairy
Solar fairy
Girdled Fairy (never owned one but I've been told it fades)
Blackfin Fairy
Basically most of the dark blue's & green's tend to fade.

In between fairy wrasses (They don't exactly fade but they don't exactly stay colored:
Pyle's fairy
rhomboids fairy
Exquisite fairy
Goldbar fairy

That's what comes to mind at this moment.

"Also, have you noticed any of the fairy wrasses that exhibit aggressive tendencies? The closest I have seen is the C. lineatus. "

It depends on who's top dog in your particualr tank. If for example the lineatus is the largest of all the specimens in the tank, he will recognize this and throw his weight around a bit.

However in my tank I have a Supermale Exquisite that is full grown and my Lineatus is still bigger than him yet he is most aggressive towards all others. I think it's due to the fact that I have a small juvenile dormant male/female (Not sure) in the tank which he is constantly displaying his nuptial colors to. He's got quite a temper and usually he just runs around flashing his colors buthe never really hurts anyone. A lot of bark...little bite.

Incredibly though I just placed a Black Hat pencil wrasse in the tank and he's been pestering him quite a bit. I gues its due to the fact that in many ways the Pencil looks kinda like an exquisite.
See the pencil's picture below.

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649Pencil_backside.JPG[/IMG]

Black Hat Pencil.http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649Tank_Shot_5_-_Exquist_B7FA8.JPG[/IMG]

Here's a picture of the Exquisite displaying his colors in for all to see. What a hothead!

bronco7777
04/02/2005, 11:41 PM
Just as a follow up to your questions.

On April 21 the new Atlanta Aquarium will have a MACNA type event. I've been able to snag a ticket for this event with a local contact I know. On that afternoon Scott Michael will be available for a presentation. I'm hoping to get a chance to talk to him directly and ask him as many questions as I can. Hopefully he will have a Q & A session at the end.

Hopefully I'll get some updated answers to all these questions.

bronco7777
04/02/2005, 11:50 PM
Here are some pics to look at in the meantime:

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649Pyle_s_Fairy_Boy_Girl-med.jpg[/IMG]

Male & Female Pyle's fairy

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/524/1649Temmnick_s_fairy_backside_shot.jpg[/IMG]

Temminck's Fairy

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649Pink_Margin_-Best_Shot.jpg[/IMG]

Pink Margin Supermale

http://www.reefsanctuary.com]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/500/577Rhomboid_Fairy_Up_Close.JPG[/URL]

Rhomboid asleep in cocoon

http://www.reefsanctuary.com]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/502/577Finespotted_side_turn_view.JPG[/URL]

Finespotted Fairy - juvenile

http://www.reefsanctuary.com]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/502/577Scott_s_-_Full_Body.JPG[/URL]

Scott's from Holmes Reef Austrailia

http://www.reefsanctuary.com]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/502/577Exquisite_Falshing.JPG[/URL]

Exquisite Fairy begining to flash..see the head colors glow

WifesaysImnuts
04/03/2005, 02:16 AM
Here's a pic of my bluehead (cyanopleura) fairy wrasse. We also just added a Scott's but no new photos yet. He's still shy.

http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/members/wifesaysimnuts/rudy.jpg

dsandfort
04/06/2005, 07:46 PM
Well..not a great photo but you get the idea. This is my C. lineatus who has been getting the s*** pounded out of him/her by the exquisite. I think it is a female or dormant male. I also think it is a juvenile. The pecs lead me to believe it might be male but I don't really know.

http://www.bernardino.colostate.edu/drs/lineatus.jpg

bronco7777
04/06/2005, 08:23 PM
How many inches is he in length?

dsandfort
04/06/2005, 08:43 PM
About 2.5-3 inches. S/He is actually staying out more and more and I actually saw a few flashes the other night. I think he'll be fine as he is getting more and more bold. Feed really well.

bronco7777
04/06/2005, 10:53 PM
That size indicates he's young and it normally takes a wrasse a little time to feel comfortable in a tank. It's not uncommon to have and established wrasse (like your exquisite) throw his weight around a bit. I'd say in the next couple of days he'll settle in and the other fish will learn to accept him. Trust me I've been through this many times.

One thing I've done here lately to help new wrasses not get stressed by established members is to keep him isolated in a breeder specimen cup.

You can get these at a petsmart. They are usually used for separating freshwater fish that are about to have babies. Simply place your new fish in this cup which has holes to allow your system water to enter. Keep him there for a couple a days until he's eating well and looks well aclimated. Then release him. By this time the older fish have somewhat acustomed to seeing him and he's feeling strong enough to put up with strangers.

Here's a picture of some rosy fin fairy wrasses that were in such a cup:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/526/41565Rosy_Fin_Small_Picture.JPG

Malama_Kai
04/06/2005, 11:41 PM
I lost interest in the thread because it started to be about other things other than wrasses, fairy wrasses. OPS !! Sorry Del, I mean Cirrhilabrus . He He!

Awesome Bronco777 great information and the Black Hat pencil wrasse is beautiful, great coloration. I have never seen that one before. Is it common for the Pink Margin to have the yellow coloration. Mine is more blue and pink and gets quite intense when he is struting his stuff.

I have to admit that I am week when it comes to fairy wrasses and as I said earlier I was interested in a Hawaiian flame but wasn’t able to find one. Well that is until today and I still couldn’t find a male unless I also got the female. Like I said, I’m week and the price was right for the mated pair, 160.00 which included shipping. Del thanks for turning me on to reefer madness, I think!!

ktani
04/06/2005, 11:59 PM
hmmm Chris had a mated pair huh? Congrats on the score on that one. He gets some great stuff and you will be pleased with his shipping and livestock condition.

Orlando, that pencil wrasse is really quite amazing. Is it a Cirrhilabrus, Haliochores, Pseudojuloides, Thalassoma? The colors are quite impressive, and how has he interacted with your other wrasses?

I did see one today, bright red on the head, a blue on the lower body and a coloration of orange, red and a hint of green on the body. It was in poor condition and was wondering if it was a juvenile punctatus. As you know I really want one after seeing yours on the cover of Reefkeeping. Difficult to id I realize with a marginal description, but was curious if you had any thoughts to the variety. I felt so badly for him as he was laying on his side on the bottom of a tank at a lfs.

Kip

bronco7777
04/07/2005, 08:26 AM
Kip,

That pencil wrasse comes from the Pseudojuloides family. A family of wrasses that has only 13 species....(that are know to man at this time).

This particular one is a Pseudojuloides Servensi or Black Hat Slender wrasse. Some suppliers and distributors call them a pink face slender/pencil. But Black Hat is its true common name.

He has done really well with the fairy wrasses. As I mentioned before the Exquisite gave him a little bit of a hard time because I guess his colors were similar to his. But then again, my Exquisite gives everyone a hard time when they first come into the tank. Kinda like what is happening with dsandfort's exquisite and your lineatus. Other than that everyone else has been very accepting of him. Unlikey fairy wrasses, he is a sand sleeper. He will bury himself at night. Wakes up very late in the morning...about 10:30 - 11 and goes to sleep early, about 8:30 - 9. (I should follow that habit ;-) ) While he's up he's interactive and curious. He's already eating from my hand. I hope to have new pitures soon. I have one other pencil. A candy pencil but he's not as spectacular as the black hat. I keep this pencil in a second tank I have in the kitchen. Down there he interacts well with a small Lubbock's fairy, a Candy sunset hog, a frimandi dottyback, yellow watchman goby.

The punctatus has many color variants depending on where it's collected from but yes he could have the colors you mentioned. Sounds like the one you saw dieing in that tank might be the variant from the Solomon Islands. and/or Eastern Austrailia. The ones that come from New Guinea tend to be a more on the dark dusky red tone.
I don't know why they don't bring more of these into the states. It's not a fairy you see often in stores. The guy I have is a large juvenile and he has darkened up a little bit. So I suggest that if you ever purchase that guy, that maybe you get him a couple of females or juveniles.

bronco7777
04/07/2005, 08:36 AM
Malama_Kai,

The Pink margin tends to have a yellow faded stripe down the center of its body. That yellow blends into tones of light to dark cranberry. They'll have their trademark red tipped tails. The top of the head will have some hints of green and blue. They'll also have some light blue spotting over different areas of the body. When they get upset and/or are excited they will flash up and obtain some hints of lime green, white, and yellow. As with most fairy wrasses, there are, and could be color variants depending on where they are collected from.

bronco7777
04/08/2005, 09:57 AM
Here are some new pics with the pencil included. Kip as you can see, he's got no problem living with the fairy wrasses...or hand feeding for that matter.

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649Feeding_1.JPG[/IMG]

In this picture you can see your new favorite the punctatus in the background. He's very hard to photograph.
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649feeding_3.JPG[/IMG]

Scott's and Pink Margin dive in for to mighty bites:
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/1649feeding_2.JPG[/IMG]

dsandfort
04/11/2005, 11:08 AM
Just picked up a Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus (pink margin) from Neptunes. Very pretty but very shy in the Q tank. Looks like a male to me but still pretty small. Picture when he gets out and about.
D

bkbkid
04/12/2005, 10:56 AM
Here's mine ! He's a peppermint hog, an amazing fish

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84456Image2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84456Image3.jpg

bkbkid
04/12/2005, 11:00 AM
bronco 7777,
where did you get that pencil wrasse and how much was it? i am utterly amazed at your collection, that is one the coolest picture I have ever seen with all the different wrasses eating out of your hand, REDICULOUS!
chris

aaronlovesshel
04/12/2005, 01:16 PM
I just found a new interest -- too bad that they are so expensive (saw a lineatus at neptune's yesterday for 200.) You have to love this hobby, it never gets old, too much variety for that.

bronco7777
04/12/2005, 10:08 PM
bkbkid,

I purchased my pencil wrasse from marineaquatics.net . They had 3 of these guys left last I checked. He was selling them for $79.99 each. He also had one Candy pencil last I checked about 4 days ago.

This company is based here in Atlanta so I've purchased most of my wrasses from them. They go after the rare stuff only.

They are expecting a shipment this week that will bring Girdled Fairy Wrasses. I've never owned these before and they are hard to find in the hobby. I can't wait.

burkleman
04/12/2005, 11:29 PM
I just got my first fairy wrasse today, it is a Cirrhilabrus solorensis.

Brandon B.

dsandfort
04/12/2005, 11:34 PM
Here is Brandon's second Cirrhilabrus.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=571549

Malama_Kai
04/14/2005, 07:27 PM
Well Del the cat's out of the bag on fairy wrasses. got to love it!

dsandfort
04/14/2005, 10:10 PM
Twas the point buddy.

burkleman
04/14/2005, 10:51 PM
And it worked. I am now a big fan of the wrasse. Thanks Del.

Brandon