PDA

View Full Version : new SJ LFS

bruddah
03/28/2005, 01:54 AM
my brother in law told me of a new fish store that opened up last week in san jose called OC Marine Aquarium near eastridge. i passed by there today but were closed. has anyone gone to check it out?

big bear1
03/28/2005, 01:58 AM
nothing nice, just another fish store

Jonovan02
03/28/2005, 05:32 AM
I also heard there's a LFS on capitol and cropley called Sun Aquarium that just started selling saltwater stuff. I havent been able to check it out. Im just wondering if anyone else has.

jedininja
03/28/2005, 11:12 AM
I've been to OC and they pretty much suck. Empty tanks, bunch of dead fish. They have a few diplay tanks that look like they have potential. but nothign in there yet. Hopefully it'll improve when they find out how to do things.

SuperSizeMe
03/29/2005, 12:12 PM
Does OC or Sun carry corals?

jedininja
03/29/2005, 12:24 PM
Dont know about Sun, but OC doesnt. Well at least they didnt when i was in there.

Jonovan02
03/30/2005, 03:45 PM
I finally went to Sun Aquarium yesterday. The place was alright. The owner is fairly new to Saltwater but at least his eager to learn. He does sell corals but yesterday he had alot of clams for really cheap. I bought 2 little crocea clams @ $8.99 each. I guess it's worth checking out but dont expect too much.

Skorpinok
03/31/2005, 09:17 PM
Where is Sun Aquarium... and OC?

Jonovan02
04/01/2005, 02:56 AM
Sun Aquarium is in San Jose. On Capitol and Cropley. It's next to a Chinese buffet called Fortune China

tina & ben
04/15/2005, 08:29 PM
we get hellah cheap coral there maybe its cause
were asian ... jk

hehe really im kidding

mel077reef
04/15/2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jonovan02
Sun Aquarium is in San Jose. On Capitol and Cropley. It's next to a Chinese buffet called Fortune China
Hi gave I have not been to this one yet maybe I should check it out!:D

bruddah
04/16/2005, 01:09 AM
i just happned to be in the area of OC last week. i stepped in.. then stepped out :lol:

mel077reef
04/16/2005, 07:05 PM
Nice to see you here on RC did you get a chance to get a quote on a tank yet?
Originally posted by bruddah
i just happned to be in the area of OC last week. i stepped in.. then stepped out :lol:

bruddah
04/16/2005, 09:55 PM
rommel, no i havent gotten a quote yet but i do have the plans ready with the help of alex. not exactly sure when ill be able to get the tank now that i will be in hawaii for 2 weeks in june.. so money is kinda tight. :(
Originally posted by mel077reef
Nice to see you here on RC did you get a chance to get a quote on a tank yet?

mel077reef
04/16/2005, 10:48 PM
That will be nice relax, next to beach, snorkeling, diving wow! Alex bought his stand and tank at the same place, which I'm sure you will also.
Originally posted by bruddah
rommel, no i havent gotten a quote yet but i do have the plans ready with the help of alex. not exactly sure when ill be able to get the tank now that i will be in hawaii for 2 weeks in june.. so money is kinda tight. :(

tina & ben
04/22/2005, 01:06 AM
sun isnt that great little selection of coral .. OC is constantly changing but the owners wife is very nice and gives good prices but they have alot of probs with sick fish ... maybe cause they just opened .. but i have faith ...
i heard they have another store up in the north bay ...

Skorpinok
04/22/2005, 10:14 AM
Where in the Eastbay is OC at?

And, thanx Jonovan for the info on SUN... that place is small - hole in the wall type, I guess. It does have a potential and good price on the powerhead - sieo's hint hint, compared to other LFS who charge $15 - $20 more.

thnx.

kentmoney
04/29/2005, 01:29 AM
yeah, i think OC is ok. theyre tanks are still really new and you can still see diatoms and stuff. maybe their sick fish dilemma will end after they cycle? the wife is really nice and i got hooked up there. they had some really cool zoas like red and EE that i got for super cheap and she gave me a few free frags. they get fish shipments every friday and coral shipments every sunday.

xinumaster
04/29/2005, 07:07 PM
I been to sun aquarium several times already very close to my house. I bought med size sailfin tang there for $14. Also I both 5 firefish for $5 each, cleaner shrimp for $7 and yuma with 2 heads for $18. Place has very reasonable price.

ahbroody
04/30/2005, 01:40 AM
Well I walked into sun today and was suprised at how empty the tanks were. Not sure when they get stuff but damn, felt wierd walking through there.
As for OC I tried to go there twice at 11am and 1pm closed both times. Nice! no hours on front of store, lots of others were stopping by trying to get in. So how many days a week are they opened. I heard they were closed on mondays also.

Paladin
04/30/2005, 10:55 AM
I also went to OC at lunchtime yesterday, Friday. The sign on the window said "Open", but the doors were locked shut. Damn! Great way to sell!

ahbroody
04/30/2005, 04:19 PM
Well, I went to OC today. The wife was at a bridal shower and i could not resist the opportunity. The store does have a lot of potential. It is all salt but the tanks are empty because there water is crap. You can smell it. The frag tank that they have has lots of things that are cheap but you can smell the water problem when you walk up. That said they had a big blue mushroom rock for 18.00. I just could not pass. I bought it. scrubbed it a little before sticking it in my tank and stock 3 crabs and a couple of snails on it when I put it in. 30 min later they are still dilligently working.
Will someone who is vietnamese please go in there and discuss water issues with them. Being white my vietnamese is limited. I think I could explain it but it might come out wrong.
The wife is very nice and tries to do what she can.

oOH SOME OF THE BIG SNAILS HAVE FOUND THE ROCK NOW.

If you are gonna buy from them I would say stay away from fish for now buy the softies and just have a good cleaner crew attack the frag. I hope the store survives.
There fish shipments are comming out of china or atleast the boxes I looked at said that.
Mike

Elite
05/01/2005, 12:57 AM
OC is just pretty new.. They're only couple months old. They told me that they are still ordering the equipment. :p ..... Their stuffs doesn't look healthy just because I don't think they change the water. Several weeks ago the water still look pretty clean but it's getting worse and worse. I don't think they know what they are doing. I try to tell them several time but they keep saying that the equipments they ordered is not arrived yet. How much do you guy wanna bet the store won't last 6 months??? :p

ahbroody
05/01/2005, 01:41 AM
You know dude that actually sucks.
While it took the snails and crabs about 4 hours or so to get the rock into shape it looks perfect now and is loaded with shrooms. Any other shop would have charged me 40-50 for that guy. It was 18.00 there. There is already improvement in it. San jose needs a shop like that. All salt and that size with thoose prices would be great.

The folks are good people they just have no clue. Someone needs to help them and as I said, I doubt they will listen to a whiteboy speaking broken vietnamese.
I know this much though, I am setting up my 55 next week and gonna buy some more softies from them afterwards. I actually wanted to buy more but my tank is freaking packed right now and I figured the cleaning crew could only handle one piece at a time. As it was the wife noticed the new rock when she came home and just gave me that look.
It was freaking crazy my room mate was giving me crap saying the piece would wreck my tank. 4 hours later he was amazed at what the crew did and how different the rock looked. They also need some damn tangs in the frag tank to clean the frags.

Oh yeah if anyone wants dry argonite sand they have it there in 20lb bags for 15.00 a bag natures ocean brand.

Elite
05/01/2005, 09:23 PM
I think they are increasing the price..... I know they are selling the same stuff for more....
Kent DT used to be 12.99 now 15.99 ... still cheaper than a lot of places ... but their price is going up ... :p

$18 for blue shroom is pretty cheap.. I got my from another store for $28 ...

dannieboiz
05/03/2005, 02:29 AM
Hey Elite, that Sun aquarium place is the place I been telling you about. Even though I live walking distance from OC aquarium but I probably wouldn't go there unless I have an emergency. They're quite expensive and picks on you by the pennies. I don't think the owner ever smile, his wife does sometimes. I go to Sun because the guy is pretty cool, better price and always give me discounts. They actually did my tank. Even though Sun is not that big and have limited stock I still stop by at least twice a week just to check on inventories. The reason why some of you don't see much @ Sun is because they move their live stocks pretty quick. I was there on Satuarday buying some small clowns they had like 10 of 'em along with a maroon clown and also this black clown I almost had to bid for the black one but I decided to play nice. BOught 2 percula and came back for the maroon the next day and almost everything was sold. I try to buy what I can there even if I know I can order it online for a few bucks cheaper. Just trying to keep the guy in business.

I was there just browsing yesterday and he gave me a free digital themeter. I wanted to buy a new one but he had no more so he just gave me the one he was using. :) Even better is that he pays for my taxes hahaI love it when I can get Uncle Sam back. :D

BTW: OC normally recieves their shipments on Sunday (or at least the last time I was there) They pick 'em up @ about 9pm @ the airport brings them back and they'll sell to you if you show up @ 10 when they're unloading. At least that's what they told me I could do.

jedininja
05/03/2005, 09:20 AM
Dannie, I hope your perc and maroon are not goin into the same tank, The maroon will eventually harass the percs to death.

dannieboiz
05/03/2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by jedininja
Dannie, I hope your perc and maroon are not goin into the same tank, The maroon will eventually harass the percs to death.

I never even got a chance to get the maroon, someone already bought 'em within hours after I left. But thanks for letting me know. I might have put them together if I hadn't notice. Good to know for the future.

jedininja
05/03/2005, 10:19 AM
Ah ok, read your post too quick. Yes, most clowns will not get along with other types of clowns and the maroon is one of the most agressive.

Elite
05/08/2005, 10:43 PM
I haven't been to Sun Aquarium yet... I will stop there sometimes next week to check them out..

OC having trouble with the landlord so they won't be there long...

kentmoney
05/09/2005, 01:00 AM
anyone see their bright red yumas? they wanted 300 for a rock of 4. damn

dannieboiz
05/09/2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by kentmoney
anyone see their bright red yumas? they wanted 300 for a rock of 4. damn

who's "their"?

ahbroody
05/09/2005, 01:26 PM
he was talking about OC. They were expensive however when I walked in there on friday the price was 200.00 not 300.00. Even at 200.00 I just kinda laughed and said no thanks.
Mike

Elite
05/09/2005, 01:45 PM
OC has Yumas??? I didn't know that they carry that too .. have to go there and check it out again.. :)

EmergencyDpt
05/10/2005, 01:29 AM
Have you guys been to something fish sea on monteray and capitol?

ahbroody
05/10/2005, 02:03 AM
SFS was not so good, corals dying, bad shape

dannieboiz
05/10/2005, 02:16 AM
SFS had new shipment today. My "informer" told me they had some nice size feather duster for 9 bucks and different colors too. Damsels are 2 bucks compared to 2.5 or 3 at other LFS just for comparison.

My first and only feather duster was purchased there and strill healthy and growing. All of my damsels are still alive and kicking after 6 months but the 2 new ones at another died after the first week. So all and all it's just luck and when you go there. If you're there today you might see dirty water because of the new stocks which might have stirred things up a little. I'd go there over OC though. Customer service is half way decent but Sun still gets my vote for friendliness and sincerity.

ahbroody
05/10/2005, 02:36 AM
Funny, at SFS they did not even look at me. They were selling some guy a beta, it appeared to take both of them. OC the lady was nice and helpfull. Sun for me was wierd as I stated before, because when I went there the tanks were mostly empty so the owner just kinda watched me as I strolled through. Thought Sun was small and cramped. Maybe if I get there the day the stock comes in I will have better luck.

dannieboiz
05/10/2005, 09:10 AM
I guess you'll have to get use to the guy at Sun, but it seems to me that most of the people that goes to sun are very happy customer cause I see lots of recurring customers.

Vs. OC, I was there the first day they open their door. My sister actually knows the owner brother. Didn't spend much there yet, but still I think over 100 bucks there already and they seems to have mood swing, some days they'll sorta look @ you when you walk in and not even hello. I guess it's just a personal thing, sorta like a relationship, some click some don't. LOLZ

kentmoney
05/11/2005, 10:57 AM
i got a really good deal at OC becuase sometimes i think that the wife doesnt know what they really have...

dannieboiz
05/11/2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kentmoney
i got a really good deal at OC becuase sometimes i think that the wife doesnt know what they really have...

LOLZ that's a big "Your milage may vary" :lol:

I picked up 2 clams (about 2" in size) and a cleaner shrimp yesterday for 20 bucks @ Sun.

OC sells small feather duster for 10 and I large for 12 or 13

I pay 8 bucks for a gigantic feather duster @ SFS

ahbroody
05/11/2005, 12:03 PM
dannieboiz I am thinking we all know you dont like OC. Pretty sure you like sun.

Elite
05/11/2005, 02:33 PM
OC is moving at the end of the month.. They are clearing out their dry good... Stop by and get them cheap :)

Dannieboiz... why on earth did you get the clam already??? your tank is so new man... hope they're ok.. :D (oh yeah, what kind is it??)

jedininja
05/11/2005, 02:38 PM
OC is moving already? But they just opened!

Do you know the prices on any of the dry goods?

dannieboiz
05/11/2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Elite
OC is moving at the end of the month.. They are clearing out their dry good... Stop by and get them cheap :)

Dannieboiz... why on earth did you get the clam already??? your tank is so new man... hope they're ok.. :D (oh yeah, what kind is it??)

I guess you call it testing the waters? :smokin:

it was cheap so I thought I'd tried it out. I'm using fully cured live rocks that's been in a very stable tank for 3 years, and I bought Catlina Sea water which is supposed to have good bacteria already. My water condition is all stable and I haven't seen a huge algae bloom like I did with the 50g where i used mix salt. Everything seems to be doing good. My sister had some zoa that was dying and she brought it over. After 2 days all of them started to be fully opened. I just took those signs as an indication that my tank is pretty stable.

jedininja
05/11/2005, 03:18 PM
Dannie, I dont want to flame, but I have to say thats pretty irrisponsible behavior. All live rock after a cycle is fully cured, so that doesnt do anything extra for your tank. And Catalina water is just water. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces in your tank and are not free floating.

And the reason why they require older systems is for stable parameters and more plantonic life in your system.

Zoas are very hardy corals and can not be used as a tank indicator.

Too many people in this hobby purchase impulsively. And that usually means wasted money, but worst yet, an animal gets put in a system that can not support it.

So I hope your clam does well, but it would be wise to slow down and purchase more responsibly in the future.

Elite
05/11/2005, 03:26 PM
Kent Marine Phytoplex Phytoplankton 16oz for $10 compare to $16-$18 at other LFS ...

I guess that is called additives not dry good :) ...I didn't look at other stuff..

What kind of clam is it Dannie??

dannieboiz
05/11/2005, 03:30 PM
I forgot to ask, but I gotta buy some Calcium test kits so I'll be at OC today. haha I'm walking distance from them. I'll clean out their Kent Marine stuff. I got some Photoplex the other day @ Petco the 8oz bottle for 5.99. 16oz Kent Marine additives are like 12.99 + 20% off @ petsmart in case anyone doesn't live nearby OC. It's 20% off for all of kent marine stuff actually regardless of size.