PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Info

Yes Man
03/27/2005, 11:45 PM
Im new to reef keeping. I have a 72g tank with 2 22inch, 65watt, 10,000k daylight vho and 2 22inch, 65watt, actinic vho lights. The lights a about 20 inchs from the sand bed and I have a glass top that the light must pass though.

My questions is how long should run the lights? Should I run them together? Up to now I run them both for about an 5 hours together in the evening while Im home. I will be putting in a timmer this weekend.

Entropy
03/28/2005, 12:13 AM
I would run the actinic for 12 hours, and the 10k for about 10 (having 1 hour of actinic before and after). This assume you are going to keep corals though. If it is fish only, then whatever works for your schedule should be fine, but consistant (ie: timers) is best IMO.

I would remove the glass covers by the way unless you have obvious jumpers. Cuts down on the light quite a bit unless you keep the covers spotless.

Jpizzle
03/28/2005, 12:15 AM
is this a reef tank? fish-only tank?

either way I would try to use a 12 hr. light cycle. for the most part you should be running your lights all at the same time.

You might want to consider having hte actinics come on first... and then go off later which would kind of simulate a "dawn-dusk" effect which is nice. this is also better because it avoids shocking your livestock to a sudden change of light from complete darkness to nature's equivalent of high noon