PDA

View Full Version : 10g tank

AndrewBobDrew
03/27/2005, 03:47 PM
Since I have such a small tank what should I put in it? I was hoping to put a clownfish pair in it?Which pair would be a good idea ?What corals would do well? I know an anemone is more for the expert and even harder for a small tank so should I stay away from them? What are anemone substitutes?

I live on the water and have a tonne of stuff growing on my jetty but its cold water. Can I use stuff like urchins and a couple of those tentacle things(you know the ones that retract when you put your finger in it).

Any input would be great

Clarkii Clowns
03/27/2005, 04:39 PM
Dont use anything from the jetty, different temps and they wont survive.

One clown only in such as small tank and IMO its to small even for one of the small species, you should look more towards a blenny of fish which deosnt require to much swimming room. IMO no clown is really and idea for this small size.

No nem, definetly not in such a small tank.

Most corals which are not chemically aggressive would be fine depending on the lighting system

Check out the nano forums.

Atticus
03/27/2005, 08:47 PM
Well don't tell my broodstock that 10 gallon is bad for pairs... :D

jab123
03/27/2005, 11:16 PM
for clownfish and anemones you dont have to kept them together but it is a beautiful site. if your looking for a clownfish pair try the Ocellaris Clownfish its the one that comes out in the movie finding nemo. but remember when getting a pair make sure you buy one that if bigger and one that is smaller the smaller will become the male and the larger one will become the female if you buy them the same size they will fight and one will win and prob kill the other. the only prob with Ocellaris clowfish is they are really hard to host with an anemone. for anemones i would recommend a yellow strip maroon clowfish when i bought my first one it took 5 mins for it to host my rosebud anemone. but then again there is a problem with maroon clowns and thats that these clownfish are extremly agressive with other clownfish and with its own kind you can get them to pair but its a little hard. but again what ever clownfish you buy make sure you buy the same breed at the same time perferably in the same tank and make sure there not the same size. as for anemones as long as you have a excellant lighting system of at least 3 watts per gallon and change you aquarium water 10% a week and feed then im sure they will do nicely in your aquarium thats what i do for mine. and if a clowfish hosts your anemone it will do even better but a clowfish isnt needed. my rosbud anemone has a clowfish hosting it and i started with one anemone and it split or reproduced twice so now i have 3 rosebud anemones. i was using a 29 gal or 109L (my converting sucks so dont trust) but if you get an anemone and you tank is small then its gonna take up alot of space especally when it fans out to get light. so if you have a small tank i wouldnt recommend. as for corals hugely depend on the light system you have if your running less then 3 watts per gallon you going to be stuck with mostly mushrooms, colorful sea fan but some dull color polyps. 3 watts per gallon and you get more of the moderate light coarls this is what i have. between 4 and 8 watts per gallon you get some of the most beautiful coarals out there and the boarders are endless. i wouldnt recommend any lighting system that gives more then 10 watts per gallon then with cause alot of the corals to burn and rise the teperature in the tank. collecting creatures form the wild can sometimes be illegal depending where you live and you could desterb the ecosytem living down there if you collect alot. but if you want to gather the sea creatures check the temperature in the water and in your aquarium if there equal or close ( they can be off by about 5 degrees) then its possible anything greater and it with shock the animal and it will die. sea urchins are excellent at cleaning algea off the rocks a little to good sometimes they have been seen eating the purple aglea (thats the kind that makes live rock look so nice) also urchins will somtimes eat corals so i would not recommend them for reef aqauriums. those tentical things are probably feature dusters or fan worms they make nice additions to any aquarium and as long as you feed the plankton and the water matches the temperature they should do fine in your aquarium

AndrewBobDrew
03/28/2005, 03:28 AM
Hey thanks for that great post. Having a few problems besides intro of fish. My tank has only been running for four days now and I have seen no cycle happening and no nitrate readings witht he tests. what is happening though is that Kh seems to be too low at 1.8meq/l, temp right,salinity right, PH 7.7-7.9(I think it has dropped). So what should I do or is this cycle still coming. The live rock seemed fine when I put it in and more of a damp smell than a bad smell so die off may have been minimal. I have also been adding bacter vital which supposedly increases the speed of the cycle.