PDA

View Full Version : shrimp with hawkfish

tankfly
03/26/2005, 02:21 PM
I've got a 55 reef with about a 2" flame hawk in it. I know hawks aren't recommended with shrimp but does anyone have any experiences with hawkfish and shrimp? I'd like to get a cleaner shrimp but don't want to make a sacrifice of it. I was wondering if the hawk would attack it if it was as big as the fish.
thanks

Melody
03/26/2005, 03:04 PM
You'd be surprised what a hawk can fit in it's mouth. I thought my cleaners were too big for the hawk but they were gone in a week. You'll need to decide - shrimp or a hawk. I'd rather have the hawk, what a great personality. :D

Badkharma
03/30/2005, 01:20 PM
My cleaner shrimp is over 3" long - if I added the flamehawk after it, would it devour it? What about my hermits? I'd like to have a flamehawk, but at the same time, it's nice to have a cleanup crew. What do you people with flamehawks use as clean up crew?

atzak
03/30/2005, 03:52 PM
I have 2 cleaner shrimp with a flame hawk with no problems, I've never seen it go after a hermit either.

TealCobra
03/30/2005, 03:56 PM
There is always going to be a possibility that you will lose your shrimp when keeping Hawks. If you decide to add any shrimp, might I suggest adding the shrimp w/the lights off. ;)

fishmarket
03/30/2005, 05:33 PM
I've got a hawkfish, cleaner shrimp, three peppermint shrimp and some hermits and the hawk has never touched them. Heck, I've even watched a small hermit walk right across his nose and he barely flinched.

LauraBay
03/30/2005, 05:51 PM
I had a flame hawk with some peppermints for a while but one by one, over the course of a few months) the peppermints dissapeared. The hermits also gradually dropped in number. Even if it doesn't happen right away chances are it will eventually!

hawkfish21
03/30/2005, 06:09 PM
I've had my Flame Hawk for almost three years now. He has never attacked any of my shrimp. He has no interest in any other inverts either. Just keep it well fed.

hammerhead_77
03/30/2005, 06:13 PM
I've got a long nose hawk that seems to enjoy getting attention from my cleaners, "Jaques and Jean-Michael"

Ben CC
03/30/2005, 07:11 PM
My 4" Arceye Actually had my 2.5" Blackcap Basslet in his mouth and was shaking him. That was the Hawk's last day in that tank. Flame's are supposed to be less feisty, though. BTW- the Basslet survived and is still in the tank and doing well. Tough fish.

Melody
03/30/2005, 11:58 PM
My hawk doesn't bother scarlet reef hermits or snails but she darn sure loves shrimp. ;)

Badkharma
03/31/2005, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a hit or miss... :)

pecan2phat
03/31/2005, 04:34 PM
I had a pair of large cleaner shrimps in a 58g with my flame hawk. They were fine for about 6 months then one day I noticed there was only one shrimp out and about. Didn't think anything of it until a few days afterwards when I see my hawk perched on a rock with white antenaes sticking out of his mouth.

vt kurt
03/31/2005, 04:44 PM
I added a flame hawk to my 55 gal with 2 cleaner shrimp and for about 5 months they were fine. About two weeks ago, I saw a little piece of shrimp tail and a gulity looking googlie eyed red fish looking at me with a very full belly.

I guess when some people say its just a matter of time, thats what it is IMO

Proceed with caution I guess

gillies
03/31/2005, 04:57 PM
Flame Hawk with shrimp and hermits for about four months - no problems yet...

dropped82
03/31/2005, 05:00 PM
what do you guys think about a Flame Hawk with a coral banded and a target pistol shrimp...I was also wanting to add one but maybe not now

usafa93
10/16/2005, 09:06 AM
The coral banded and the pistol *should* be safe from the hawk, if it's not too big. The thing you need to remember about those two shrimp though, are that they can be a threat when as the age and grow. So while they can hold their own against most fish, they may actually turn aggressor with age.