PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with DIY power center

countertopguy
03/25/2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a thread on this forum showing the construction of my stand and in it I show this power center. I wondered if any of the electricians out there could chime in about the best way to wire this.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus13/IMGP0771.sized.jpg

Basically it is two sided with duplex outlets on the inside of the stand and switches (one per outlet) on the outside. I want to wire everything to a plug (to go to wall outlet).

I have seen others do similar set ups and wondered if anyone has any wiring diagrams or any other helpful advice.

Thanks in advance. (Let me know if you need any additional pictures to make it cleared what I am trying to do.)

Steve

LunarCubes
03/26/2005, 12:47 AM
Ok here goes: Run the neutral from the power cord (which you plug into the main GFCI outlet) to the outlets. I would piggy back it from the first outlet to the next, so on and so forth. Do the same for the ground but run a line to the switches so they will be grounded as well. Dont piggy back the grounds though, have a wire nut where the ground wire connects (1 per junction box) and run a short jumper to the outlet/switch. Run the hot wire from the cord to the switches. Use wire nuts and jumpers
to connect the single hot wire to all the switches. Next run single hots from each switch to the corresponding outlet. That would be the easiest way to do it.

countertopguy
03/26/2005, 09:52 AM
Lunar,

Thanks for the response. To clarify when you say to "piggy-back" from one outlet to the next do you mean the wire goes to one silver screw and then it picks up again from the other silver screw on the same outlet? So you have a wire going in and a wire going out (neutral). Because I am working with duplex outlets can I go to one outlet over to the second up to the third over to the forth etc? Does it matter the order? I'm guessing not as long as continuity is kept.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

LunarCubes
03/26/2005, 01:12 PM
No problem. Yeah thats correct, just run neutral in on one of the silver screws and then neutral out on the other silver screw. It doesnt matter what order their in as long as there all connected. I would suggest using 14 guage throught the panel as well as a 14 guage power cord. Remember not to exceed 15A on the circuit since chances are the main outlet your going to plug the panel into is only rated at 15A. This may give you a few ideas and help illustrate what I suggested: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=375941

- Jeremy