PDA

View Full Version : Sick clown (w/photos)

mfd78
03/25/2005, 01:13 PM
I got this guy about 5 days ago and he hasn't eaten yet although the other clown purchased at the same time is fine with flake and frozen brine. Yesterday, he developed this white patch by the mouth. I'm very new to all this and would appreciate any help ID'ing this. I do not have a hospital tank - just the 75 gal. he's in now. My tank is only about 6 weeks old and I only get 10ppm nitrates for readings. Am I leaving anything important out?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/mfd78/IMG_4940.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/mfd78/IMG_4937.jpg
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Steve

km133688
03/25/2005, 04:01 PM
You might try adding garlic extreme to your flake food. This is considered a flavor enhancer and it is supposed to make fish want it more. It sure does smell like garlic. It is reported (though who knows), to have medicinal benefits.

darkclan
03/25/2005, 04:34 PM
The mouth area looks like it is affected by fungus growth. Treatment for this disease is difficult. Try an anti-fungal medication in a hospital tank. Food soaked in phenoxetol can also be effective if the fish is eating. The feces is long and white and stringy, so it might be a sign of capillaria worms. This can be treated with Paracide D.

clownlady
03/26/2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by darkclan
The mouth area looks like it is affected by fungus growth. Treatment for this disease is difficult. Try an anti-fungal medication in a hospital tank. Food soaked in phenoxetol can also be effective if the fish is eating. The feces is long and white and stringy, so it might be a sign of capillaria worms. This can be treated with Paracide D.

Not sure about the worms, but this does look a mouth fungus. Try Maracyn-Two in QT. Treatment with Maracyn-Two is not difficult at all.

Good Luck Friend!

:thumbsup:

mfd78
03/27/2005, 04:24 PM
Thank you for the input folks!

My current treatment plan involves using Metronidazole (Hexamit) to treat the possible internal parasitic infection and Maracyn-Two for the fungal problem. Since the fish is not eating, delivering meds via the food is impossible - I am going to offer him live brine tomorrow. I'm planning on treating for 10-14 days in qt - if he lasts that long! :(

I'm still open for any other ideas if anybody has any...

Steve

Kelmen
03/28/2005, 04:01 AM
Just stock in these 2 new fishes, both consider big, about 1" +.

Acclimated b4 stock in.

Noticed that 1 of them got a short string white feces, probably intestinal parasite, will work accodringly.

Both also exhibit some kind of "shock" behavior, like suddenly caught a cold, or lectric shock (tested myself, no electric shock onto myself), or like sudden muscle strained.
Something wrong? Or just norm?

Drop them some sinking pellets, dip garlic sauce, they not interested.

The 1 smaller one seems quite interested with the pods, "kissing" and probably eat those small pods on the glass, but not the other one.
This one output small clumps of white feces but not in stringy form. Is it norm?
I read that easting pods may give such white clump of feces.

They both do active swimming.

Angela Short
03/28/2005, 01:12 PM
Kelmen- It is best to start a new thread with new questions. So the electric shock you described is normal behavior with mated clowns, a sign of submision maybe. The garlic is a good idea and they may take a few days to start eating the pellets, you may try flakes and see if they go for it. Don't know much about poop. Hope this helped some.