PDA

View Full Version : mounting an RBTA?

neuro
03/24/2005, 12:13 AM
does anyone know the best way to get an rbta to settle onto a rock (or anything at least?). my skills at forum searching came up short, only on how to feed it.

i just picked up an RBTA and am currently acclimating it...

seedub
03/24/2005, 12:22 AM
Let it roam, it'll find a happy place. Hopefully somewhere you can see it. If not, you can more some rocks to place him in view.

thrlride
03/24/2005, 12:24 AM
Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll find a place quickly. I put mine on a rock where I wanted him to stay, he moved two inches and hasn't moved since.

neuro
03/24/2005, 12:27 AM
ok cool, i was hoping i didn't have to use rubber bands to get him to attach to anything first...

badpacket
03/24/2005, 02:04 AM
Rubberbands? Never heard of that, I don't think it'd like that. Probably stress it out once it found it couldn't move. All my normal BTA's all seem to really settle down once they find a vertical or slanted crevice. I think they prefer them since it allows them to pull back away from the current when they want too.

BoomerD
03/24/2005, 03:42 AM
the sooner you accept that you have little to no control over where the anemone decides to settle in, the sooner you will relax. Make sure all your powerheads and other pump intakes are well screened to prevent it from getting sucked in, which can both kill the anemone, as well as nuke your tank. Personally, I find that I can modify these to work for most powerheads and smaller pumps. The larger ones are easy to find. The smaller ones are much tougher to obtain. I just use the outer housing, NOT the internal filter material.
http://www.whodah.com/albums/BoomerD/ack.sized.jpg

lukasnca
03/24/2005, 04:15 AM
I've had anemone's somehow go through the outer housing ...

neuro
03/24/2005, 09:52 AM
ouch ok... i had a small intake and it almost ate it after it settled down.

the rbta finally took a foot underneath one of my rocks and looks just fine, thanks for all the help guys.