PDA

View Full Version : easy, coral friendly fish recommendations...

Vincerama2
03/23/2005, 05:13 PM
Hi guys, I'm thinking my tank would look a lot more interesting with a fish or two, so I'm looking for suggestions and local sources.

Of course, the almost mandatory clown fish (which ones like RBTA hosts and where can I find one?) is in the running, as are some gobies (watchman).

I have a 58g with a 29g sump/refugium...I'm guessing it might be too small for a mandarin, or I don't have enough pod production facilities to maintain one. And, yeah, I know tangs won't be happy.

How about those cowfish? They seem interesting, I saw one at Ultimate Aquarium...but am not willing to buy fish I haven't researched...but to get a leg up on which to research for suitability, I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

V

jedininja
03/23/2005, 05:22 PM
For a tank that size, a cowfish is out of the question. They grow to less than 2ft. (dont remember exact size)

In a 58g reef, I like different gobies, reef wrasses, clowns, cardinals, dwarf/pygmy angels, and maybe a basslet if you add them last.

jedininja
03/23/2005, 05:46 PM
Oh, and the cowfish can let out a toxin into our tank when stressed of alarmed which can causequite a bit of harm.

darcitananda
03/23/2005, 06:41 PM
pseudochromis are very pretty and small!

Jpizzle
03/23/2005, 06:46 PM
cowfish also get extremely ugly when they get older lol.

the above suggestions are great ones!

Vincerama2
03/23/2005, 07:28 PM
Aren't pseudochromis' mean towards other fish?

V

sfsuphysics
03/23/2005, 07:49 PM
all fish are mean towards other fish in one way or another. How about a firefish? bicolor blenny is fun to watch as well.

As to which clowns will host a RBTA, technically speaking just about any clown would, but whether or not your particular clowns will is up in the air, if you want the "nemo"looking clowns, ocellaris probably are more likely to host a BTA than a percula. My tomatos hosted my BTA within 5 minutes of me putting it in the tank. Maroons would probably as well but they tend to be rough with the anemone if its small. If you want one in the upcome week(s) Steve at Lucky Ocean should be getting a bunch and mentioned selling them for rockbottom dirty cheap prices ($20-25 was talked about, nothing in stone). So might want to give him a call to find out when he's going to get them.

jimsar
03/23/2005, 09:34 PM
Hey V, I've got captive bred tomatoes. I read somewhere that they naturally host BTA's.

If you want a pair, get one from me and another from a store. That way, no inbreeding. My price, 8 buks, ~5 months old, 1.5" long.

Jim

ikanayam
03/24/2005, 01:30 AM
Sixline wrasse if pretty nice...pretty hardy too.