PDA

View Full Version : Know Anything about Dip-A-Way?

leebca
03/23/2005, 08:30 AM
A product called Dip-A-Way made by Aquatronics has just come to my attention. It is apparently encouraged for both marine and fresh fish.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this product? If you've used it, how did you use it?

This is a link to the product: http://www.healthybetta.com/articles/Illness%20Diagonsis/dipaway.htm

Thanks.

johnnstacy
03/23/2005, 02:24 PM
I haven't found it available online anywhere. The few links I found in google for that product show that it is no longer available. Please advise on a source to purchase.

clownlady
03/24/2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by johnnstacy
I haven't found it available online anywhere. The few links I found in google for that product show that it is no longer available. Please advise on a source to purchase.

:eek2:

No longer available? Oh no! I better hurry and get some more...lol! :D

I have been using Dip-Away made by Aquatronics for over a year now for my new arrivals and it has never failed me. I purchase this product from my LFS named Angel's Tropical Fish located at 847 N. Lake Avenue Pasadena, CA. Phone number is 626-798-3473 and ask for Jimmy(owner), if he's not there you will probably speak to his wife. Jimmy highly reccomended this product to me after I purchased my True Percs from him.

I had a talk with Jimmy one day about another local store I would buy fish from. I informed Jimmy that the fish from this other store had an unusually high mortality rate. He showed me how he uses Dip-Away for all new saltwater fish arrivals to his store. He told me that the average store will not treat their fish with anything before adding them to their tanks increasing the chance for death. Since his store is not large at all and he does not carry alot of saltwater fish he can apply special care to his new arrivals by dipping them individually, increasing their chances of survival. So, now I do the same thing and I have not lost one fish since.

It's also used for several illnesses, although I am proud to say that I have not had to use it for anything besides a pre-treatment before my fish takes the plunge into its new home...:bounce3:

Afterall folks, our fish already go through a hell of alot of stress just getting to the LFS, let alone the extra stress they go through after we buy them. This stuff really works!

When you call the store be sure to tell Jimmy, that Tracey sent
you!

Again, here's the info on where I buy Dip-Away:

Angel's Tropical Fish
847 N Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA
(626) 798-3473

clownlady
03/24/2005, 01:56 PM
Here's a link where you can also order Dip-Away online:

http://www.thehiddenreef.com/saltwater_aquarium_supplies/aquarium_supplies_reef_products/medication_aquatronics.htm

just dave
03/24/2005, 04:01 PM
Well while I've never used it its main ingredient is a antiseptic which would help with any wounds,nicks,abrasions,...etc that some fish may incur from handling or due to entry wounds caused by some pathogens. Merbromin is also known as Mercurochrome. Bring back any childhood memories? :D

leebca
03/25/2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the link, clownlady.

Like you say just dave, its main active ingredient seems to be merebromin, also spelled, merbromin, which is mercurochrome.

I'll have to read up on the ways mercurochrome was used in the past.

:idea:

dangle
03/25/2005, 07:18 PM
clownlady,

I've been to Angels Tropical Fish when I was checking out some local fish stores as I was waiting for my first sw tank to cycle. It is small and when I went there were like 4 other people there so it was crowded so I didnt stay long : ) If I remember, they didnt have a big selection of sw fish but after reading your post I think I'll have to check them out again. Sound like he takes care of his fish and I've been searching for a good local fish store for a while. Seems like the ones around here aren't so good. I've driven to the Valley, down to Orange County in my search and found some decent ones in those areas.

Is the 'other' fish store you're talking about PTF on Colorado? (Can we name names here or is that frowned upon?) I bought my first fish there, 2 clowns and one immediately come down with brooklynella and died within 3 days and a yellow tang that had ich but seems to have pulled through. I've been back there, PTF, a few times and frankly their fish don't look so good, there's always dead or dieing fish in their tanks. They have a big selection but I don't know if I'd buy fish from them again.

I think I'll see if I can go to Angels tomorrow and get some Dip-Away, sounds like a good product. Maybe I'll mention your name! Any more good local fish stores you can recommend? I'm in Montebello which is maybe 5 miles south of Pasadena.

Sorry if this post is a bit off topic!

Thanks

leebca
03/26/2005, 09:59 PM
I found that mercurochrome was used (in the 'old days').

It was painted on fish wounds. From 1.3 ppm to 10 ppm was used in dips and baths.

But it is listed as a poison to fish. It was no longer used as a disinfectant for fish because it could 'burn' or cause some harm to the wound.

I imagine, like has been found, that it is of some benefit to fish.

I use Methylene Blue in a FW bath/dip for my fish. The combo has a negative effect on external parasites and fungus. The MB also gives the fish an easier time of breathing.

I think for incoming fish, my biggest concern is the external parasites. I don't see that Dip-A-Way has any affect on parasites. But, going into an LFS system, I think I'd use Dip-A-Way, assuming the LFS water system has some copper in it.

Thanks to all who have contributed. If you have something new to add, please don't hesitate to post a reply.

Happy Easter! :wavehand: