PDA

View Full Version : top bracing for acrylic tank

MICHEAL1
01/10/2002, 10:03 AM
I,m building an acrylic tank. I need to know about top bracing. dimensions of the tank are as follows. 5'long, 3'front to back, 2'top to bottom. don't know if it would be better to do one continous strip around tank or if front to back bracing would be ok. tank will be made out of 5/8th acrylic. any info would be greatly appreciated

schemo
01/10/2002, 11:15 AM
that's a pretty big tank, i would go for 1". and 2 braces each at 1/3 of the end of the tank. make sure you brace the front with at least 4" and do the back the same. then on top of that brace brace it again from front to back with the two more 4" strips each at 1/3 end of the tank. i hope that i didn't confuse you any???
schemo

Ironreef
01/10/2002, 08:20 PM
I'm planning my future tank. But in the process have found a few ppl thicken the top to eliminate the middle brace. i don't know what size they go up to ect.. I would call a manufacture and try to get there specs. You still need the strip all the way around but how much and how thick I dunno. IMO its better = bigger opening

cacplkings
01/10/2002, 11:04 PM
Micheal,

My new one isn't quite that big a tank, but here is what it has:

36" x 24" x 24" tank
6" acrylic lip around the outside all the way around.

I enclosed a pic, you'll get the idea. The opening at the max's is 12" f-b and 24" s-s.

Chris

cacplkings
01/10/2002, 11:06 PM
Tanks acrylic thickness is 1/2 all the way around and 3/4" for the top.

chris

schemo
01/11/2002, 12:30 PM
cacplkings,
did you make that tank yourself???? if so i would like to tell you awesome job on the edges!!!! i have a question for you though, on the top how did you cut the opening out? with jig saw? or router???
schemo

cacplkings
01/11/2002, 01:52 PM
Schemo,

No, the guy I bought it from had it custom built. I don't know how they did the edges. He sold the tank to me as he had another (larger) one built.

Chris

MICHEAL1
01/11/2002, 05:40 PM
I talked to the guy at the acrylic supply store and he had a idea. He thought that you might be able to have a metal works make a ring for the top out of L channel to the exact measurement of the tank. that would leave the top completly open. he also said that 5/8 is plenty thick. My tank right now is 33"x33"x33" and is made out of 3/8 acrylic. I've never had a problem with it bowing. In the end I'll probably have the acrylic store bond all the corners anyway he said it would only be another $80 anyway. There going to cut all the peices and glue the two front corners and round the and polish the. any orther comments welcome.

kevinpo
01/11/2002, 06:41 PM
MICHEAL1,
Why are you making a shorter tank than you have?

Kevin

cacplkings
01/11/2002, 06:58 PM
Looks to me by his initial post he is building it taller (i.e. 24" up to 33")

Chris

kevinpo
01/11/2002, 07:06 PM
cacplkings,
isn't this the size of the one he's building?

Kevin

kevinpo
01/11/2002, 07:07 PM
OOps must be a limit to how long your subject line can be...

Kevin

MICHEAL1
01/11/2002, 07:09 PM
One reason for shorter tank is the hassel of trying to reach all the way to the bottom of tank to clean down by the sand. another is you don't gain anything by going taller, you gain surface area by going wider. 36" front to back and 5' long is going to be enough to clean anyway. also on a 36" high stand it would be to tall to look into from the top. any comments on the L channel idea?

kevinpo
01/11/2002, 07:22 PM
If it was mine I would have a center brace on a 5' long X 24" deep tank. These are the 2 dimensions that make it critical. If it was 20" tall I might risk it. The metal band would work as long as the material won't rust and become unsightly over time. The thickness is fine 1/2" is used often for 24" deep tanks so 5/8" is just a little insurance :)

Kevin

cacplkings
01/11/2002, 07:25 PM
Michael,

I personally like the polished look of the acrylic ends if I get what your meaning by a metal L channel around it? Also, it would have to depend on the L channel material. If he is going to use straight angle iron, then I wouldn't do it. It will rust etc and you wont like the look. My 2 cents is to pay the $80 and have the clean appearance.

Also, if your going 33" cubed, I would imagine an outside ring of 7 or 8" around it would suffice, but I am not a builder. Good luck.

cHris

MtnDewMan
01/11/2002, 08:42 PM
I went with one large opening on the top of my new 75 gallon reef. Makes for nicer access to the tank. They made the top piece thicker to accomodate the larger opening.

MICHEAL1
01/11/2002, 08:55 PM
the angle would probably be made out of stainless steel and only be around the perimeter of the top. I like the idea of a wide open top with the light canopy suspended from the ceiling. that way you could adjust the level of the light up or down. this tank is going to divide the dinning room from the living room in new house. all corners of tank will be polished or rounded and polished