PDA

View Full Version : anthony, i have some manifold questions

aqua5
03/22/2005, 03:49 PM
i currently have a softie reef and want to add some sps. i only have a few powerheads right now and i am guessing i need to upgrade flow for sps.i have a 40 breeder that is 36''long X 16'' high X 18'' wide. i dont know how many outlets i should have and dont know what size loc-line tube to use either.how much flow should i get out of each outlet?i was thinking get 3/4'' PVC then reduce it down to 1/2'' for the outlets. the pump would have to pull from an over the top applicationb because i dont have bulkheads.

TippyToeX
03/22/2005, 06:07 PM
How much you want out of each outlet is covered in his manifold article here (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm). :)

3/4" to 1/2" sounds perfect.

The placement of these tees is not of much critical concern as long as you have enough in total to work with; the ability to manipulate water flow through any of them is very flexible and efficient. I’ll suggest 4 to 6 teed outlets per 100 gallons of tank volume, spaced evenly apart, as a starting point. Frankly, you should have no fear constructing a manifold for how inexpensive the framework is to build.

You can always cap the ones you do not care to use. Just be sure it is symmetrical. Perhaps three to four on the front and back, one on each side? Sounds good to me at least. :D

If you are reducing to 1/2" you would use 1/2" loc-line.