PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question

Paladin
03/21/2005, 04:33 PM
I'm planning my plumbing, and wanted to know if theres a significant flow difference between two types of connections:

1) connecting 2 pvc adapters with flexible PVC tubing or
2) connecting 2 hose barb fittings with vinyl tubing

I have the supplies for #2, but considering #1 if there's that much of a flow increase.
Thanks.

pepe.king.prawn
03/21/2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure exactly which flexible PVC you're talking about (I'm sure there are many), but there are a couple things you yourself should be able to look at. Any time the cross section of the pipe/tubing becomes smaller, or turns a sharp corner it will restrict flow.

I would do whichever is easier, so long as it's not overly restrictive.

DanielMar
03/21/2005, 08:36 PM
Paladin,
Consider- inner diameter barb fitting to fittings/piping/hose versus . Also, Pepe is correct, a smooth bend is best (poly vinyl tubing) versus fittings. Just remember, the larger the diameter of the fittings/tubing/barbs, the better the flow will be.
Daniel

sirhelm
03/22/2005, 02:11 AM
I am in the same boat. I went to HD and is flex PVC the same as spa flex???

I am considering using flex PVC for the entire system. Would flex PVC increase my drain flow?

Currently have solid PVC on my dual returns with 2 90"s on each. My current drainage is approx 800-900GPH and should be at least 1200GPH. Both are 1" drains.

Anyone agains using Flex PVC for the drains?

Thanks

SH

DanielMar
03/22/2005, 09:41 PM
sirhelm,
I use it. I run a Pan World 100px-x and it's rated at 1200 gph and I believe I'm doing around 900gph. I use 1 1/2" and is working fine. Pool hose your thinking of correct?
Daniel

sirhelm
03/23/2005, 12:23 AM
Hey DM,

I don't know. I keep hearing of Flex PVC but honestly I have never laid eyes on it. I know they sell spaflex at HD but I don't know if it is the same.

people say that flex PVC is still pretty rigid, but you don't have to use 90's and 45's joints.

Also flex pvc is compatible with schedule 40 so that I can add ball valves and female couplers

I want to give it a try to see if I can increase the flow rate of my 2 drains

SH

Paladin
03/23/2005, 12:29 AM
Hey Daniel, how do you like your Pan World pump? I'm ordering one right now and I wanted to find out how quiet it is. I had an Iwaki before, and it was just too loud.

sirhelm
03/23/2005, 12:38 AM
Hey guys where can you buy flex pvc?

I went to home depot and they only had spa flex. I think that is different.

I can see it working for the drains, but how about going from the sump to pump and then returns...... How do you keep it from sagging with the additions of gate valves, etc..

Can anyone post some pics of their flex PVC setups?? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SH

BoomerD
03/23/2005, 02:53 AM
Spa Flex IS flexible PVC.

sirhelm
03/23/2005, 09:50 AM
Cool,

Thanks BoomerD.

Now I know where to get it!!

SH

DanielMar
03/23/2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Paladin
Hey Daniel, how do you like your Pan World pump? I'm ordering one right now and I wanted to find out how quiet it is. I had an Iwaki before, and it was just too loud.
Paladin,
I don't know about the Iwaki, but, from what I have read the Pan World's are slightly quieter. This is my second PW pump (upgraded from 50-px-x to 100 px-x and thinking of hooking up both=flooooowww) Noise is not an issue during the day for me, but night is. This is where I have an older (grundfos style) Quiet One pump (can't hear it!) to handle my "nightime"" mode. And my previous 2 Quiet One pumps lasted over 6 years on/off use marine. One of them is still working for my salt mix containers! I was lucky enough to find a couple pumps the other day and cleaned the guy out (bought two left) of his refurbed units. Not too sure if he has any left.
So, in a nutshell all has been well so far with PW pumps.
Daniel

Paladin
03/23/2005, 02:43 PM
Daniel, so you shut down the PanWorld during the night?

DanielMar
03/23/2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by DanielMar
sirhelm,
I use it. I run a Pan World 100px-x and it's rated at 1200 gph and I believe I'm doing around 900gph. I use 1 1/2" and is working fine. Pool hose your thinking of correct?
Daniel
Just wanted to clarify. The 1 1/2 inch flex is used for "to sump" on my system. Not tank water re-entry from sump to tank.
Even though one could probably use it for re-entry from sump into tank.
Daniel

DanielMar
03/23/2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Paladin
Daniel, so you shut down the PanWorld during the night?

Yes, that is correct, shut-down every night @8pm.
I actually cleaned out my PW 50 px and was impressed at the construction. Simple yet funtional and easy to clean with a toothbrush. Do take care with the ceramic impeller shaft. Also, when you plumb it in, do not stress (weight laden) the intake/output ports and do support/suspend all your piping proper.
Daniel

D-Nak
03/24/2005, 12:13 AM
If you don't know what spa-flex looks like, be careful when you go to Home Depot. I've been to quite a few HDs and I often times see the "Spa-Flex" mislabeled. Sometimes its the blue stuff with ridges similar to old school wet/drys hose that went from the over flow to the top of the wet/dry. The stuff I assume people are looking for is the white flexible stuff that you can attach PVC fittings to.

This is SPA-FLEX: http://spapartsnet.com/P/A/-/763/1.html.

Here's a close-up: http://www.hottubessentials.com/spa_parts_flex_hose.asp

This is the stuff that's often mismarked as spa-flex (the hose connecting the overflow to the wet/dry: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3656&N=2004+22778

Hope that helps!

sirhelm
03/24/2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks D-nak

yeah i saw the spa flex at the HD and according to your closeup it is the correct version.

That helped alot!!

I appreciate it.

SH