PDA

View Full Version : Your final resting place… become a Reef?

aquaman67
03/21/2005, 11:38 AM
I was contemplating final resting places the other day, and an idea hit me.

I don’t relish the idea of being left alone in the cold ground.

And being buried at sea isn’t what I would want either.

Wouldn’t it be peaceful to become part of a reef?

People are now being cremated and having their remains turned into diamonds, so why couldn’t you have your remains become part of a reef? After cremation, your remains could put in a limestone container and placed on a reef. In time, you would be covered in coral and would become part of the reef.

I mean, they sink ships to make artificial reefs, why not make an artificial reef made from people’s remains that want to be there? I’m sure there would be some legal wrangling, but I’m confident a Reef Mausoleum or “Reef-o-leum� could be built.

What do you think?

I’m I crazy?

Would you do it?

Xandernfs
03/21/2005, 11:47 AM
Well, I have thought this out and I'm on the same page you are. Even though I'm only 21, I still know where I want to go. I do not want to end up in a reef, but I do want my ashes put in three lakes in Quetico Park, Atikokan, Ontario, Canada. This is where I 'found' myself and want to be 'laid to rest'. The park itself is 2,000 square miles of NOTHING! No roads, plumbing, electricity, automobiles, no nothing. Its like the Boundary Waters in Minesota, but even more remote. The water is so pure that you can dip your cup and drink directly from the water.

I want my ashes spread in the lakes of Beg, Bud, & Fren (aka: the Lonley Lakes)

But I like your idea. And if you have the passion for it, i'd say do it

sradmin
03/21/2005, 12:06 PM
Aquaman67,

Count me in...

hokiefish
03/21/2005, 12:18 PM
I have definately seen a report on TV where the ashes are mixed with limestone or something and dropped by a reef head. I love the idea. If you really love SPS why not become a part of one? I couldnt think of a nicer resting place.

Dog is getting older and the medium in the calcium reactor is getting low. Hmmmm.

s13silvia
03/21/2005, 12:38 PM
i heard about this recently on the news, sounds like a cool idea

Dubbin1
03/21/2005, 12:57 PM
A few months back I sent for a packet and video from a company (Eternal Reefs) that does this. http://www.eternalreefs.com/

Saltz Creep
03/21/2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Monsters/285-512.jpg

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, flesh to nassarius snails and crabs..."

Shouse94
03/21/2005, 01:15 PM
The water is so pure that you can dip your cup and drink directly from the water.
OH YES, that's exactly what i want to do after we spill your ashes in there :)
good idea though, have to give this reef thing a thought

OCDP
03/21/2005, 01:18 PM
that's a really neat idea. i'll have to ponder upon that one :rolleyes:

moggyhill
03/21/2005, 01:23 PM
there is a company out there that has been doing this for awhile, I will try and remember the name of it. At any rate they mix your ashes up with concrete and make reef balls. Some are really big. I already told my husband thats what I want when I go. Of coarse he threatens it might be sooner than I planned if I keep buying corals!:eek:

Neurosis
03/21/2005, 01:34 PM
That would be interesting if a person was turned into live rock and put back into their reef tank! I'd like a nice acro growing on me please. I can see it now, "Look kids, there's grandpa right there behind the clown. Oh my, is that aptasia growing on him?" :lol:

Neurosis
03/21/2005, 01:39 PM
...........then they turn around and sell you for $1.00/lb cuz they're getting out of the hobby. :D

Saltz Creep
03/21/2005, 01:39 PM
^And the epitaph would read,

"Grandpa grew too old to rock,
but now he is one.."

Rest In Peices

moggyhill
03/21/2005, 01:46 PM
:lol: :lol: