PDA

View Full Version : Adding live rock and corals

Crystal marine
03/20/2005, 04:32 PM
I currentl have a 65 gallon fish only system that I would like to make a reef tank. All of my current fish are reef safe. I only have a power filter and a doulbe strip. I know I need to get a protien skimmer and a power head. What are the best kinds and how big? Also what additives do I need? I want to add button polups, and some mushroom coral, and an anemety for my clown. Can any one help me?

redpyro
03/20/2005, 04:38 PM
if the double strip is normal output lighting i dont think that will be sufficient for an anenome

leebca
03/20/2005, 05:12 PM
The addition of LR to an established aquarium will likely cause it to cycle again. This is unkind to your pets. If you take the LR and quarantine it until it goes through its cycle and then put it in your display, you will likely avoid the cycling effect.

As for additives, you don't need anything other than Ca and Alk additions. Additives are a bit of a scam. Read this for more info on that:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

You should obtain a coral reef tank basic book to learn the basics. That will help you more accurately and completely than posts here. If you have a specific question, we can better help. :rollface:

Levi_S
03/20/2005, 06:10 PM
As far as Powerheads, yoou will need either 5 Maxi-jet 1200's or 2 Tunze Streams. depending upon budget - the MJ1200's cost 20$ each at Marinedepot.com and the Tunzes start at alot more... something like 180$ each or something. Also depending upon how much space you are willing to sacrafice.

Another option is to go with a Sump/Refugiam with a heavy duty return pump or you could also go with a closed-loop.

at the very least you should surf around here for a while and just take a look at what the other people here are doing and then decide which way you think is best for you.

in a perfect world with unlimited space IMO you should go with a sump/refugiam as this will also increase your water volume as well as give you someplace OTHER than the main display to put your skimmer and Macro algea and any Mantis shrimp you may aquire ;).

HTH,

Levi_S
03/20/2005, 06:15 PM
Also, i am a firm believer in Metal halide lighting for all purposes. i will never ever ever go back to flourescent of any type. you can not beat the shimmer effect and they are known in most circles to be acceptable lighting for all of your Anemone/Coral/Clam needs. You would never have to upgrade again. just my 2cents. (yoou would need atleast 2 at 250w each (i would go with 2 250w 10000K's on the ends w/ a 400w 20KXM in the center <I> C O O L </I> :)

fwiw,