PDA

View Full Version : Tunze

Skorpinok
03/20/2005, 01:25 AM
Guy's and Gal's;

I am looking for a Tunze power head to put in my 65 gallon tank. If you know where I can get them in the bay area or if someone is selling their's, please let me and where and/or how much are you willing to sell yours.

Thanks.

Skorpinok
03/22/2005, 01:14 AM
Okay, what about the seio's? What do you think of them and where's a good place to buy them and does anyone want to sell their's?

sirhelm
03/22/2005, 02:20 AM
I am thinking of selling my 2 Seio 620's

I have a 180 and while they are powerful and quiet, I am going to upgrade to the 1100 or 1500.

Had them running for approx 3 weeks now

I will sell them for 25.00 ea I paid 37.00 ea

Where are you?

SH

Skorpinok
03/22/2005, 02:29 AM
I PM'ed you....

Bamm Bamm
03/22/2005, 10:42 AM
you can buy Seios from www.marinedepot.com or from www.fishsupply.com I bought my 620's used and they are good I recoemnd them.. I like my seio1500s better though=)

sirhelm
03/22/2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Bamm Bamm,

Yeah I love the Seios. I think it was one of your posts that got me hooked on them. However I should have went larger!!

You are running the 1500's right? Are they quiet?

Down the road I will have 4 of them over all in the tank...... 6000GPH baby...

Of course I will never be able to approach the flow that you have!!

How many times is it?

LOL

SH

neuro
03/22/2005, 06:15 PM
we had a post on this before about the seio's...

i'm running a 1100 in my 40 gal... it's perfect--except that the only time i turned it off and plugged it back in, it had a hard time starting up. i hope that's only a random occurance....

Skorpinok
03/22/2005, 10:49 PM
What's a good seio for a 65g tank - will the M620 be enough or am I better off with the M820?

Thnx.

sirhelm
03/23/2005, 12:28 AM
I would assume that it depends on your needs. Do you need alot of flow? if you went with the 2 620's that gives 1240GPH. If you went with 2 820's..... 1640..... All depends on if what you have requires high flow. There is also the issue of wattage used.

Also got to remember that one of the complaints of the seios is that if you have to mount near the top of the water line, they have been known to create so much suction that they suck in air... and causing micro bubbles.

SH

scuzy
03/23/2005, 01:24 PM
yeah i htink i need to run my 620's in vinegar cause one of them won't start up anymore or spin. Maybe it's all that gunk in it. My tunze is still spinning really well :)

neuro
03/23/2005, 01:55 PM
does two seio's really double the gallons per hour? because if that's the case you could get the two lowest wattage/hour seio's and do it that way... will you be saving all that much money?

that just doesn't seem right. then why would they bother making the bigger ones?

lukasnca
03/23/2005, 02:28 PM
More smaller powerheads will take up more valuable space in the tank, have more power cords, not be as efficient as a larger powerhead, etc...

sfsuphysics
03/23/2005, 02:58 PM
Actually smaller tends to be more efficient from an energy standpoint just for the simple fact the resistance due to the viscous nature of a liquid (tank water) doesn't increase linearlly, so if you double the power you won't double the flow. Of course that's not to say that smaller ones are more efficient either because there is a certain minimum amount of power to operate at all.

But yeah take the Seio1100, roughly twice the flow of a 620 (ballpark), but 2-620s do take up more volume, more slots on a power strip. Of course that being said I would rather have 2 powerheads over 1 larger one just for the simple fact 2 can make a much more turbulant flow than 1, which is why a closed loop/manifold are nice because you just get little pvc elbows sticking down in the water yet only need one external pump which doesn't make big ugly in a tank :)

That's all for today class, I expect your rough drafts of the benifits of turbulant waterflow in a marine environment by next week.

lukasnca
03/23/2005, 03:10 PM
Damn physics...

sirhelm
03/23/2005, 03:44 PM
Ahhh but you left the best part of powerheads out... the fact that there is no water leaving the tank for messy cleanups after leaks.

I was thinking about the PH question as well. There are pro's and cons to both. While plumbed closed loops are more efficient, take up less room (in tank), and can't fall off into the tank and cause snowstorms..... they do take water out of the tank, require more plumbing, and can require more expensive pumps to run them. However after seeing that 3000 gallon tank that Mike Paletta showed in his slides, and the 8 sequences ( I think) that they hooked up to the approx 20 pvc intakes/returns.... the amount of possibilities that a closed loop provide are endless!!!!

If you have a large tank, and water flow is critical, I really don't see how PH's can compete with a closed loop system attached to multiple returns/intakes, or to a manifold system.

However cuz I suck at plumbing, I am going with 2 1500's for now.

However I haven't ruled out a Closed Loop with an external pump to assist down the road!!!

Hey Physics is easy.... water always flows downhill.

sigh too bad

SH

Skorpinok
03/23/2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
:)
That's all for today class, I expect your rough drafts of the benifits of turbulant waterflow in a marine environment by next week.

Originally posted by sirhelm
Hey Physics is easy.... water always flows downhill.

sigh too bad

:lol: :lol:
Prof... do you want that draft in "E" format or in a hard copy?:lol: