PDA

View Full Version : questions??

cap to the max
03/19/2005, 10:39 PM
24 gal nano cube
2 clowns
2 hermits
1 snail

I put 2 clowns in my tank after 7 weeks of cyclying. I have 2 aptasia on my LR. I would like to add a shrimp to the mix. I have heard that peppermint shrimp eat aptaisa and I have 2 on my LR that I would like to get rid of....First question...how different are a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp? Will they generaly serve the same purpose? Is the a big difference? And second question...a week after adding my clowns, am I cool to add a shimp at this time?

Thanks!

Cap

Beverly
03/19/2005, 10:50 PM
Cleaner shrimp will be more visible in the tank, but won't do anything about your aptasia. I'd put in a couple of peppermints, but you won't see them much. They don't always eat aptasia from what I've read, though.

There are other ways of killing aptasia. They will speak up, I hope.

HaKs310
03/19/2005, 10:56 PM
Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss, some will rid eat aptaisa and some will not bother with it. If you search on RC you will find that some memebers Peps actually nipped at their corals.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=514384

Dubbin1
03/19/2005, 10:56 PM
Just Joes Juice them and be done with it.

orlenz
03/19/2005, 10:57 PM
the aiptasia can be dealt with by injecting them with boiling water, or kalwasser, search this site there are some very good threads on eradicating aiptasia, peppermint shrimp will sometimes eat aiptasia, but I wouldnt count on it, you need to kill those aiptasia, cleaner shrimp like skunk shrimp will clean your fish and your tank, I prefer them to the peppermint shrimp, if all your water parameters are cool you should be ok to add the shrimp, a few small snails would be good too.